Seeing your lure on your fishfinder?

waterinthefuel

Commander
Ok, I've seen this claim made by Humminbird. Is this true? Is it possible? Would it just look like a fish?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Seeing your lure on your fishfinder?

Any good sonar will show you a lure that is in the cone, WITF.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

JB is right,<br /><br />On a downrigger, I have seen the DR ball for 20 years.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I used to take my old portable unit ice fishing.<br />At 30 feet down, I could see the tinyest of jigs (1/16" dia. x 1/4" long).<br />Just turn up the sensitivity and jig away, watch for fish to move into the area.

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We fish for Amberjack in 125~150 feet of water from time to time. We can watch cut bait drop right to the bottom and then lift it up as much as we choose to. I've heard guys say they can drop a dime in the water at that depth and watch it go to the bottom. I've never tried it but I have little doubt you could do it. Depends a lot on the fish finder and even more on the transducer of course.<br /><br />Thom

Ralph 123

Captain

New Sonar Echo Enhancement™ Technology combines a highly sensitive sonar receiver, a high technology transmitter to precisely control the sonar pulse and our exclusive sonar processing software. This combination of hardware and software gives the Matrix Fishing System the capability to reveal extremely faint sonar returns with very high resolution. For example, SEE Technology has the sensitivity to clearly show a BB (from a toy gun) to a depth of over 40 feet! Plus, the precisely controlled sonar pulse width provides the ability to detect targets as close as only 2 1/2" inches apart.<br /><br />This level of performance reveals the type of underwater structure and bait fish that attract the big fish. And, when you're vertical jigging you'll be able to see your bait on-screen and see the fish react - right on the sonar screen!
http://www.humminbird.com/matrixPublic.asp?ID=288

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

HeeHeeHeee,<br /><br />Look, I've got to tell you. I've got what is probably the best recreational/semicommercial fish finder and transducer combination made on earth (A Furuno 582L using the Airmar M260 8-element 1-kW in-hull transducer) and without having tried it I have to say that there isn't a snow ball's chance in hell that I could watch a BB drop to 40 feet with it. That is just a patently absurd claim. <br /><br />I guess when it come to originality as an advertising claim, well, what can I say?
clap.gif
<br /><br />Thom

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Can you see your downrigger ball on the depthfinder? No, Maybe, YES. <br /><br />Can you see a lure on your fishing pole while trolling without a downrigger? No. Your lure would be way too far behind the boat to be in the fish finder cone angle where you could see it.<br /><br />With a downrigger and you are are fishing down 30 or more with the standard 20 degree transducer then if everything is perfect you might see your downrigger ball. You have to be useing the right size ball and not be trolling too fast, not have too long a arm on your downrigger and then the ball might be in the cone angle of your fish finder. At 30 feet this is about a 6 foot circle.<br /><br />With a 50 Khz fish finder with a 45 degree cone angle transducer fishing down 30 feet on more then your very likely will be able to see your downrigger ball. Much biggger area of coverage with the 50khz transducers. Still even then if you are useing a light ball and your downrigger cable is angled back behind the boat then your ball will be behind the cone angle and you will not see it. <br /><br />The second picture on the link given is what it would look like. Do not buy anything from someone who says they can see a BB at 40 feet.