whats the best GPS for the buck?

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander
I am being hounded for x mas ideas, and since the TRUCK STUFF idea didnt pan out :p I figger ill get a decent gps, something in the 150 range<br /><br />any ideas? I want to have a compass feature in there too<br /><br />(should have an option to get a windshield mount, so I can make it TRUCK STUFF<br /><br /> :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: whats the best GPS for the buck?

Scope the Garmin GPS 72. I've got one and like it beaucoup.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander

I think you will get a better response in the Electronics area. Moving there.

bubbakat

Captain

I am with hooty on this one can't beat it for the money

sloopy

Commander

Wait till after Christmas, the companys will be coming out with new models then and dropping prices on the old ones. If you can't wait SHOP AT GPSDISCOUNT.com and get your self a Garmin GPSMAP 76s or a geko.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ray, check out the GPS72 by Garmin.<br /><br />I got mine right here at iboats.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

those are great ideas, thanks guys!<br /><br />iboats has a 76 for just over three bills, but I dont need an altimeter, lol<br /><br />DEPTH FINDER would be cool tho!<br /><br />hmmmmm - <br /><br /> :D

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

GPSDISCOUNT has the 76 to your door for $197.45. Or even better, the GPSMAP 76 for $254.24, complete. Or the best,GPSMAP 76 S, shipped, for $315.54. I have dealt with these folks several times and they are prompt and proffesional. Fast shipping is an understatment! Not to say that i-boats is not all of that. But money is money! If it were just a few bucks, I would certainly buy from iboats. I have before and will continue to if they are competative.<br /><br /> gps discount

petryshyn

Commander

You said best for the buck....<br />I'd go with a Magellan Meridian.<br />It has huge mapping capabilities that you will soon find you want....I found it more sensitive than the Garmin as well.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

Mr LF, is that another name for garmin or magellan?<br /><br />right now Ive decided on getting the GPS map S, I dunno, I can chart how much air I get off of a wave! LOL<br /><br />plus, it can chart out the del bay, and over on BassBarn/com, the guys are always looking for a fishin buddy to go out boating with (chip in for gas and bait, hey, count me in!) so hit a hot spot, key up the GPS, and when Hydro is out on the briny blue (well ... del bay, so brownish green, lol) just bring up memory and go right back to it<br /><br />plus ... I would like to think that the higher end unit has inherently higher reliability, not that I am lost with compass, but on a day when fog rolls in ... would be nice to have the gps steer you right to dead center of the the inlet - well to the right a little, lol<br /><br />sounds good to me!<br /><br /> :D :D :D

D

DJ

CWR,<br /><br />You got a lot of votes for the Gamrmin-72. Not a bad choice.<br /><br />You don't know "Schematic". He was a poster, from way back, that knows more about electronics than ANYONE, on this board.<br /><br />Follow his advice. I have, and I've NEVER been led astray.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

ooohhhh .... yes, I do know schematic, at least I think I do, wasnt he the one that began spooling a TON of information about MB M class proceedures when JB was having a problem with his?<br /><br />besides, if he has YOUR endorsement djohns, I think I can go along with the program!<br /><br />schematic, what do you think of the magellan meridian color?<br /><br />the color feature useless?<br /><br />the thing is, I have 175 gifted to me in the guise of a garmin legend, which I can take back and get the cash to spend as I see fit, and I have been fascinated by those "turn by turn" navigation systems since I first heard of them, when they were thousands and thousands of dollars<br /><br />I love to drive to obscure out of the way places... fishing holes, old boat ramps, all sorts of places like that, and especially NOW, with the long legged, cheap on gas little red truck to go voyaging in (my bad back LOVES that drivers seat!) Mapping would be a very VERY good thing to have, even tho getting lost is fun too, Ive gotten lost and totally HATED it<br /><br />tie that into the fact that I am ABSOLUTELY getting a boat in the water this year, and GPS becomes something very desireable<br /><br />neat stuff, this modern age is turning out quite interesting!<br /><br /> :D