Another battery question

Knotiboy

Seaman
I presently have to batteries on board,one is a cranking battery and the other is a cranking and deep cycle which are wired in series.<br />My question is what type of battery should I add to my boat as I will be needing a third battery for my electrical motor(24 volts)ie.a deep cycle and cranking or a deep cycle only ?<br /><br />On a last note,what would be the best type of charger for your recommended solution considering they will be used for trolling?<br /><br />Thanks in advance

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Another battery question

Well the first thing is that the 2 trolling motor batteries needs to be the same size of the same age to get the life and performance out of them.<br /><br />If you have 1 new and 1 old battery, the new battery will always want to transfer power to it.<br /><br />Keep your best battery for your cranking battery and go out and buy you 2 new deep cycle batteries for the trolling motor.<br /><br />You will be better off in the long run.<br /><br />Get you a 2 or 3 bank charger for the boat and when you are not using it, just plug it/them in and keep the batteries at tip top shape.

LubeDude

Admiral

agree with Spinner_bait Nut on the buy two new batteries issue!! <br /><br />I am confused though about how you have your present batteries hooked up though!! Am I wrong? Dosnt series mean 24 Volts and Parallel mean 12 volts? Is that your intention? (24V)<br /><br />The reason that I ask is that it is not a good Idea to hook a deep cycle together with a cranking battery either way as they have different charging rates, It will likly ruin both batteries! :eek: <br /><br />LubeDude

Knotiboy

Seaman

LubeDude,<br />They will be connected in parallel.<br /><br />I will then leave one battery just for cranking and the other two for trolling.<br />Thanks

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Knotiboy....still confused. First you talk of batteries in series and a 24v motor and now you say in parallel. Is your trolling motor 24v? If so then the 2 deep cycle will have to be in series to give you the 24v. Not sure if you can leave them that way for charging though as most chargers are for 12v batteries or banks.

Knotiboy

Seaman

BoatinBob,<br />Sorry guys for the confusion.I was confused myself .The motor will need two 12V batteries so,from what your saying BB they will be in series.I purchased a Statpower TB 10 series charger .It says that it can charge two batteries simultaneously.I hope I made the right choice.<br />Thanks

LubeDude

Admiral

That dosnt mean that it will charge 24V, That means it will charge your starting battery 12V, and your trolling battery 12V! you will have to disconnect the crosover cable, (Positive to negative) and charge each battery 12V each!! You can put a quik disconnect on the crossover cable!!<br /><br />LubeDude

Knotiboy

Seaman

LubeDude,<br />I 'll call Iboats.com to see if their charger I bought from them ( Statpower) will charge my batteries for the electric moter in series.<br />I'll let you know.<br />Thanks

Knotiboy

Seaman

The Statpower will charge in parallel only ,so I had to cancel my order,good thing it wasn't too late.Thanks guys for bringing this up!<br />I ordered the Minn Kota MK-220 ,this model can charge in series and parallel.<br />Regards

LubeDude

Admiral

You came to the right place, We are always willing to help out!<br /><br />LubeDude

Knotiboy

Seaman

Ho folks,<br /><br />How important is the fact of having ~1 amp once the charger is on the maintenace mode?<br />The reason I ask is because the Minn Kota MK 220 will maintain the batteries at 2 amps.<br /><br />Your input is welcome.