Sounder transducer problem?

magster65

Commander
I've got a Laurance sounder/fish finder with one of these through hull transducers. The unit is reading incorrectly more and more often. It takes quite a while to get a 'fix' on the bottom and then loses it as soon as you move. Water conditions aren't bad and I'm positive about the readings being wrong. What's with these through hull transducers? How do you check them? How do you take them out? It has only a nut on the inside and a wire coming out of it. Should I just buy a new machine?

flashback

Captain
Re: Sounder transducer problem?

Magster. most of my experience has been on thru hull transducers for sailboats, but they are most likely the same, I think from your posts that your boat is in the water all the time, if so, algae and marine growth can cause problems, also, if you have painted the bottom, sometimes bottom paint can affect the transducer... as far as removeing it, you should have a dummy plug that you can put in place of the transducer when you unscrew the ring or nut...... the dummy plug usually looks just like the transducer except that it has no guts to it...........you will get a little water in the boat when you swap the two out........ not bad tho........ Ive actually installed thru hulls while the boat is in the water, but thats another story......good luck

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving this to electronicsc.

magster65

Commander

Oh yeah, we have an electronics section now...<br />Thanks Flashback. It almost looks like the transducer is installed from the outside and on the inside there's a retaining nut but I could be wrong. I'd like to see a schematic or something for it before I do any work on it.