battery and charger setup help for jon boat

jimang29

Recruit
I just bought a jon boat and i'm ready to buy a trolling motor (12v) but I just found out they dont come with a battery or charger. I also found out that most chargers dont plug into your typical home outlet.<br /><br />This will be the only motor I use for the boat. Keeping that in mind, what kind of battery/charger should I get, where do i get them, and how do I position the battery on the boat. Also, can I use a charger that plugs into my home outlet...and if not, how would I go about charging the battery?<br /><br />Any help appreciated!

ebbtide176

Commander
Re: battery and charger setup help for jon boat

you've been told wrong. :) typically, battery chargers do connect to house wiring outlets. that is the standard. charging a battery usually comes from an engine OR a house outlet, period. :D <br /><br />get whatever TM that will be within your budget and move your boat. check with the locals to see how much they use (TM size). Trolling Motor <br /><br />good luck, keep asking if you want more info

ebbtide176

Commander

not trying to starve you for info, just letting you digest it one step at a time. i'm sure more info will come...<br /><br />you should know that TM's offer many thrust amounts, which will move that boat more/less quickly, and use more battery power. for a 'battery powered boat' you need to figure out the weight/size of the boat and what type of water/current/waves you will be dealing with... :D

ebbtide176

Commander

example: you're going to fish the local 50 acre lake (flat water, very little wind/waves), and you have a 12 foot aluminum boat. its pretty swampy, with lots of stumps and you don't have to travel but 100 yards between stops...<br /><br />then i'd think a small TM, like a really lowcost 36-40# TM would do you fine. as far as a battery i'd go with a good deepcycle, for running down to nothing and charging back up when home. i've had good results with a Stowaway, 27 series. its good to balance the boat out somewhat, so if you & TM are in the front, put battery in back, and vs.<br /><br />for a battery powered rig, its really best to go to where you plan to go, and compare what the locals are doing... :)

gprocks

Cadet

I have a 24# thrust Minn Kota that I run on a 12ft Aluminum. Another angler has the same TM and has a 9.5' Jon Boat and it moves these along really well.<br /><br />When you pick a battery, it really depends on how much you want to spend and the length of time you want to be on the water. I picked up a Nautalis deep Cycle 730 cranking amps with a 115 min.s reserve and it lasted an afternoon on the water no problem.<br /><br />Hope that helps,<br /><br />GP

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Boats.<br /><br />Please read the header for this Forum.