New to restoration NEED HELP!

I just purchased a 1967 Larson 16' All American I/O for $300 w/trailer. I have spent a lot of time on this website and have gotten more tips than I know what to do with. So thanks to all the knowledgeable people out there. I was going to get the engine running first, but I decided that is probably less time consuming than redoing the interior. I cut out the rotten plywood flooring with my circular saw and am now to the point where I have to just deal with glass. I saw a lot about 4 1/2" angle grinders. I am guess that is the right approach?My next question has to do with stringers. I read a post where someone said to study JasonJ's websit and it will visually answer a lot of question. So I did, but when I saw the picture of his stringers and under the floor it looks nothing like what I have under the floor in my boat. I have two 4" high by 10" wide boards that run from just aft of the helm all the way to just forward of the engine. They are glassed to the bottom of the boat and every couple of feet there are cross members. WHAT should I do?!<br />Last question, but probably not the least, but when I was cutting out the floor I accidentally got too close to the hull and have about a 4" long cut in the hull. How should I go about fixing that?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: New to restoration NEED HELP!

BB, To fix the cut in the hull, grind or roughsand the area around the cut, inside the hull for 3-4inches. Wipe the area with acetone. Now lay 4-5 pieces of glass over the cut, cut to fit the sanded area, saturating each with catalysized poly or epoxy resin, before laying ther next layer. After it hardens, fill the cut from the outside with polyester putty, let it harden and sand smooth.<br /><br />As for the stringers and cross members(frames). If they are not rotted, leave them alone. If they are rotted, cut out the rotted section and replace it with dry pressure treated, solid lumber of the original dimension. Use gusset joints, on the sides to attach it to the original, sound stringers and frames, and glass them in and to each other.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

In my 1965 Larson Valero the center stringers are 4" wide hollow fiberglass beams with the only wood being some strips glassed into the top for screwing the floor down. The outer 2 stringers are as you described. This is there dual hull design where the stringers are formed in a second hull which is joined inside to the outer hull. Very strong and no stringer rot. Replacing the rotted transom and floor on mine. Reconfiguring the bilge also to better drain the under floor area and so that I can mount the gas tank in the rear instead of the front. Other plans for the bow area. Original bilge design promoted and kept a lot of water under the floor.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

Some pics of my Larson hull. Pictures blued by blue tarp over work area and lack of sun shine again today.<br /><br />
LarsonInsideHull1.jpg
<br /> <br /><br />
LarsonStringers3.jpg
<br /><br /><br />
LarsonStringers1.jpg
<br /> <br /><br />
LarsonStringers2.jpg
<br /> <br /><br />
LarsonStringers4.jpg

Thanks Jeff and Chris. I just got back from purchasing my grinder. So I am about to get the rest of the glass out. I saw under other topics not to use pressure treated wood. It had something to do with the resin not bonding with it before you glass it because it is already saturated with chemicals. What do you think?

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

General concensus from what I've read here and my friend who repairs boats is to forget the treated stuff. Need to dry it out thoroughly and new process eats fasteners.<br /><br />Using just fir AB exterior plywood myself and encapsulating in epoxy. Original floor lasted around 40 years and was nothing special plywood as well. Original was not coated on the bottom at all and only thin layer of fiberglass on the top. The new floor should last at least as long with proper care. Long past my lifetime anyway.

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

Blackbelt:<br /><br />Don't take out any more than you have to. If the glass in the photos is still as originally designed and servicable leave it alone and begin your rebuild from that point up.

Terry,<br />Unfortunately, the wood under that section was wet and rotted so I had no choice. I am down to pulling foam and grinding everything nice and flat before starting to rebuild.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

agree with ab ext. ply. jsut seal allsurfaces and edges. will be better than original.