OMC Impeller?

kferguson

Cadet
I have a 1975 Bayliner Admirality 2050 Cuddy with a 5.0L Ford Inboard V-8 and an OMC drive unit. I was out on the lake for about 3 1/3 hours pulling tubes...fishing, etc, and on the way back to the public launch the engine started to smoke, and I noticed the temp guage was at 240. I had been running hard all day with absolutely no problems. I immediately shut the engine down. I was told that the impeller was what failed. I know nothing about boats, and I am in desperate need of ANY advice. Thank you ahead of time...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: OMC Impeller?

» Mercruiser, Volvo and OMC I/O or Inboard Engine Problems is the best place to post this question. Maybe a MOD will move this to that section.<br /><br />Depending on how comfortable you are with mechanics will depend on who fixes it. It is not an impossible job hoever it can be frustrating. Impellars are cheap and it takes about 1 to 1-1/2 hours from start to finish. It must be done on dry land.

kferguson

Cadet

Mechanically I am very comfotable, but I dont know where to start. I was hoping to find an online service manual for free that would let me know what to do. I might just order one from this sight just to have. How much of the stern drive has to be disassembled to get to the Impeller? Are there other things that I should take care of while I have it apart? I like to do things ONCE!! Again, Thank you ahead of time...

M

Mod3

Moving to MerCruiser, Volvo and OMC I/O problems and repair.