Another Riveting Question

garybli

Cadet
I'm restoring an old aluminum fishing boat and need to replace a seat that was removed by the previous owner. The plywood seat is held to the side of the boat by aluminum brackets/channels. I have to to refasten them to the sides. The old one were riveted to the boat. I want to avoid a dissimilar metals corrosion problem. I have not found any aluminum rivets yet and if I do find some I have never worked with them before. I have aluminum "pop" rivets but they are hollow and might allow water to enter and attack the wood seat. Any other way I could do this? If I used stainless steel bolts would there still be a dissimilar metals problem? If I need to use solid aluminum rivets, where can I find them?<br /> Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Another Riveting Question

Google up "Closed End Pop Rivets"........Aluminum.....

Pogo123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Another Riveting Question

Yes, you will have dissimilar metal corrosion, but very little and your sacrificial anodes (you do have them - right?) and a fresh water wash down after boating should keep it to a minimum.<br /><br />Closed end rivets are available that make it a whole lot easier to install. <br /><br />Hansen Rivets in California is one source (800-777-4638) and Jay-Cee Rivets at www.rivetsinstock.com/index.html (800-521-6777) is another.