how to remove carpet adhesive from carpet

bassmani

Seaman Apprentice
hello all, just glassed in a new floor. put the carpet on. ended up getting some adhesive on top of the carpet. what is the best way to remove this from my brand new carpet?<br /><br />Acetone, Mineral Spirits?<br />With a brush, cloth or rag?<br /><br />it is in several areas as i got some on my shoes and walked in while i was laying the carpet.<br /><br />thx

thunderroad

Chief Petty Officer
Re: how to remove carpet adhesive from carpet

If it were me, I'd use lacquer thinner...but I use lacquer thinner for most everything. <br />I'm not sure...Acetone might be another name for it. Try a rag moderately soaked with it. I can't imagine it hurting anything. You might have to use a brush too.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

bass, The carpet cement container should list the proper solvent. I know that mineral spirits work with oil-based cement (Contact cement). Acetone will likely work with dried cement, but may discolor the carpet.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Back in the day when my knees allowed me to install carpet, here is how we removed the glue.<br /><br />Take a scrap piece of carpet (of the same carpet) and wet the carpet side with solvent. (Like mentioned above, read the can for what is recommended.) Then rub it over the area that has the adhesive on it. This is the best way I have found on getting excess boo boo's cleaned up. The glue on the good carpet will then be transferred onto the scrap piece. Good Luck and don't let it sit on there too long before removing it. The longer it is there, the harder it is going to be to remove.

bassmani

Seaman Apprentice

thanks all. I tried mineral spirits and acetone and they both worked and did not damage the carpet. key thing is to use and scrap piece of carpet as SS Mayfloat metions. Also, another good tip is to take an extra adhesive that has almost cured and roll it up in a ball, then dot the carpet and it lifts the adhesive up real nice.