Sanded through Gelcoat

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer
I am removing the bottom paint on my 19 foot Wellcraft eclipse and sanded through the gellcoat in a couple spots. spots are about 1" x 1/2" so they are very small. what should I do since they are under the waterline. do i just need to paint them or is it more involved?<br /><br />Thanks

Purduebarry

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Sanded through Gelcoat

What was your goal, remove the paint and then what? Repaint with what?

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

I am just sanding off the bottom paint and then buffing out the gel coat. It is trailered and fresh water use only now so I really don't want to do anything other then get the original look back.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Pop, You can buy small amounts of gelcoat, at any marine store. Just tint it up, mix it with catalst, apply it, cover with plastic film. After it is hard, sand it until it is smooth. You will need to sand it with 400 grit paper or finer, to get proper finish.

epresutti

Chief Petty Officer

superpop,<br /><br />Like Chris... said, you can touch it up, try using 1500 to 2000 wet sand before your start polishing. I would say don't use a 1 step polish and wax. Polish first, then wax. My other thought is since it is on the bottom of the boat, exact color match may not be important to you, depending on how picky you want to be.<br /><br />Hope this helps.<br /><br />Peace.<br /><br />Ed.