Gelcoat spider cracks

mattsmall1972

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all,<br /> I recently bought my boat knowing that it would require a bit of engine work. The boat appears to be in excellent shape itself as it's 28 years old. <br /> One thing that I notice about the gelcoat is that there are numerous places on the top shell of the boat and a few places on the hull and the floor where the gelcoat has spider cracks, typically around stress points (screws, etc). These do not seem as if though they would even seep in water if given the chance. <br /> I would like to repair these cracks but they are numerous and the rest of the gelcoat could come out shiny if I buffed and waxed it. <br /> My question is, are these "spider cracks" worth worrying about? Are there any easy fixes for this? <br /><br />Thanks

Purduebarry

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Gelcoat spider cracks

No answers, just cracks too. I want to see the answer because mine are around the outdrive. Yes I have them elsewhere but the outdrive is all I'm worried about, the rest are cosmetic. If I learn of anything I'll add to it. I was just going to try to sand and buff mine out.<br /><br />What kinda boat? Looks like a Cobia?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

It's not easy to repair them and not have them come back because you need to fix the reason they started in the first place. Most of the time it's just in the gel coat and caused by being flexed or stressed at some point in time. It's worth looking into why they are there just to make sure there aren't bigger problems, but most of the time they're just a cosmetic problem.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Pb<br /><br />Around the out drive can mean a bad transom, you better check it out.