Screws through hull

GA Paramedic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bought a boat for $1. Put it in the water still on the trailer for about 10 mins and it leaked about 10 gallons of water. As I was looking, I found atleast one problem. The origional floor was rotted out and a false floor was put in (3/4" PT plywood). screws were put into the braces including the lateral ones. The screws went through the hull and barely visable; about 6 of them. after I took them out, my delima is how to patch the holes. I see that epoxy is the best way to go but I am having a time getting the epoxy into the holes due to the size and the splintering of the fiberglass. <br /><br />Would I be justified in drilling out the holes (i.e. 1/8" or 1/4") to provide an adequate space to seal the hole or is there another way or a different epoxy to try? <br /><br />FYI, the trailer is a little rusty but sturdy, but the motor is good after some carb cleaning. 1979 model ski boat, walk through windshield. New steering cable, floor and clear coat. Just leaky!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Screws through hull

try 'gulvit', available in the iboats store. great for small leaks.

studlymandingo

Commander
Re: Screws through hull

Have you checked the stringers inside the boat? Chances are you have some rot inside that really needs to be addressed, since the original floor was rotted out. Use the red "search" button at the top of the page and look up rotten floor or rotten stringers. This is a great place to learn some boat repair skills. If you do the repairs correctly, you will have a sturdy boat that will last for many years to come. <br /><br />BTW: Welcome to iboats!!!