Wood flour and poly?

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class
Has anyone ever tried using wood flour to thicken poly resin for fairing floor-to-hull, etc.Cab-o-sil can get expensive and I have about 10 pounds of flour (sifted sawdust) laying around in my shop.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wood flour and poly?

If was fine enough it would work but it will add a lot of weight compared to cabosil.

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer

and you will prolly use enough resin wetting the wood dust to offset the savings.<br /><br />cabosil is really hard. Q-cell, phonelic microbaloons or glass speres may be a better choice.and cheaper as well

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer

I've used wood flour on the outside of a hull with no ill effects only to make a honey thick mixture to fill in the weave on large patches. Microwave your homemade wood flour to get all the moisture out. Chief

Paul Moir

Admiral

Good tip Chief100. I've used commercial wood flour for fairing below the waterline on a slip kept boat. A little thicker than Chief100's, more like mustard or mayonaise but not peanut butter. No troubles at all. Except it's way harder than microballons for sanding. Makes excellent wood glue and pretty decent fillets. But I think cabosil makes a stronger fillet.

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys. I will definately try that microwave trick.