Transom Repair - New issues found, a bit long...

Rick K

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi again all,<br /><br />No doubt you've seen my tantrum post on doing thigs right the first time. When I pulled the water seperator from my transom, there was a rot spot. Not a big deal; I can patch with epoxy/cabosil/mat, and move on with life.<br /><br />NOW, I see that the entire top of the transom is rotted, about 3-4" down. When I bought the boat, I stabbed the transom no fewer than 50,000 times to see that it was solid. I know it's my fault for not going up high enough, and I'll live with the expense and labor of fixing her. It's not a problem; it keeps me off the streets, and the wife knows where I am!!!<br /><br />I pulled the rubrail and popped the rivets off the deck, to expose the top of the transom. Here's what I found: Some STOOGE had decided that the rubail was lose, so they screwed in 3"-#14 screws right thru it, into the transom. Also, there was no sealer behind the aluminum rubrail channel, which leads me to believe it was off and not reinstalled properly. Then, the top skin was a bit loose, so it was NAILED into place, then covered back up with the rubrail. Tisk, Tisk, Tisk.... <br /><br />So, I will effect the following repair: Remove 6" of transom along the entire top. Make a replacement piece, using 2pcs 3/4" plywood, epoxy, fiber matt, etc. Install. Cut another piece, only higher, which will cover that, and extend down over the existing transom. <br /><br />Tie it all together, etc., then go back thru the hull with the proper fasteners, sealing everything in my path. Then, using a 3"x3" aluminum angle, I'll cap the outside, where the transom and deck meet, and go thru the hull, install rubrail, enjoy. I think this method will aleviate any unecessary or unwanted flex, PLUS, will strengthen the deck to transom joint.<br /><br />The alternative, of course, is to remove the engine and outdrive, and install a whole new transom. Not a problem, but I'm not that schooled in outdrives, and don't see myself trying to reinstall it once it's out. <br /><br />Opinions? Advice?<br />Thanks!

gspig

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Transom Repair - New issues found, a bit long...

You may as well go the whole nine yards. By the time you are done cobbling patches in, you will have spent more time and effort "fix it right the first time". My boat is my first boat and I have pulled the motor and outdrive to put in a new transom. When I put the outdrive back on, I used the holes in the outer skin as a guide to where to drill the new holes. Seal the wood in the new mounting holes with resin or epoxy before you mount the bell housing. Many people here have done it, many ways to do it. Search for transom replacement.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Hi Rick, your problem is about opposite of mine. While the top of my tansom was nice and solid, my bottom half was mulch/rot. At first, I was going to laminate new onto the old. It was recommended to do the whole section. Glad I did because the rot was worse than fist expected.<br /><br />I think I would have been done with the transom by now if the weather hadn't turned wet and cold. My boat is too big to fit in the garage, sitting on the bridge, I can look down the peak of my roof! So,,,,I got to work around the weather. At least I can do stuff inside my cabin.<br /><br />What outdrive do you have? Mine is a VP280. Except for a few bolts that siezed up, removal was not as bad as I thought. I'm glad I did remove it because it does let you do some preventive maintenace. You may notice your bellow/boots are deteriorating, maybe the gimbal bearing is not spinning as smooth as it should, and you can inspect your universals also. <br /><br />On my transom, the plywood opening around my outdrive was never sealed or encapsulated. I feel that this is an area that allowed water intrusion. After I'm done glassing, that area will be glassed in also.<br /><br />Good luck in your adventure,,,,,Your gonna need it like I do too!........SS<br /><br />Side tip: when you glue the 2 pcs of ply together, that Gorilla glue is some great stuff for that.

Rick K

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replies! <br /><br />I have a pre-alpha (type 1)? outdrive hooked up to a 165hp straight 6. I've been reading posts on outdrive/engine removal all afternoon. I have a Clymer Manual, but I need to get the actual service manual for this drive. Clymer's engine removal procedure looks pretty straight forward, but says nothing about removing the outdrive. It makes it sound like it's a 30 minute job, which I know can't be true.<br /><br />I agree about doing the whole thing at once, and can't come up with an excuse NOT to do it, other than I'm not very schooled in the outdrive repair areas. The rot seems so minimal, as compared to the overall size of the boat (22' Islander).<br /><br />I need to get a handle on what the various parts are, how they inter-relate, etc. Wish I could find one of them books, like, Outdrives for Dummies... Plus, all the boots, u joints, gimbal bearing was just done, and there's 0 hours on 'em. <br /><br />Would hate to rip into her, then get stuck on something that I don't understand.<br /><br />As far as the transom itself, that's the simple part. I use 2 part epoxy and 2 part adhesive from ClarkCraft. I've done a couple of transoms on outboard boats, and the stuff's absolutely inpenetrable. <br /><br />Looks like the first "tool" I'll buy, will be that $70 service manual.<br /><br />Thanks again, and any more advice on getting that outdrive out is appreciated.<br /><br />Rick

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

rick go to the i/o forum and get DON S 's advice, he's the guru of i/o's. get the right merc manual for your engine and outdrive, it will be money well spent. use the clymer to keep your knees clean ( i stole that phrase from some i/o guy) i had my first and last i/o.. don and all the other guys there were a great help.

dmarkvid2

Chief Petty Officer

Rick, Check this out. You can select about 20 different MFG. I have the Mercruiser stern drive repair manuel made be SELOC and it will tell you everything about engine and outdrive removals<br /><br /> http://selocmarine.com/start.cfm