fixing a pressurized tank

87lundtyee

Cadet
i have a pressurized tank that has a hole in the bottom cuz someone dropped it on a nail. How can i fix the whole. I cleaned it all up and tried JB weld cuz i thought that stuff would fix anything but it didnt hold and the local welder told me to get that thing out of his shop. Any ideas would be great.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Re: fixing a pressurized tank

What is this tank used for? How much pressure does it maintain? What is the material thickness? Does it have a pressure relief valve? If it is a low pressure tank and the material thinkness of 3/16" or more, tapping and threading for a plug might work. Still, any repair to a pressurized tank should not be done.<br /><br />Welding pressurized tanks is a taboo, a no-no, and is dangerous. That is probably why your welder said to remove it.

Always Broke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Darn! You took the words outta my mouth Mayfloat. I have just a little more to add to your answer. If the tank is a little thin for tapping I’ve welded a nut over a hole in a tank that looked like it was shot with a 22 then drilled and tapped it to size and ran a plug in it. You can’t blame the welder for turning you away, that’s a liability claim going somewhere to happen.

87lundtyee

Cadet

Its a 6 gal gas tank for a old outboards that dont have fuel pumps.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

can you see the puncture thru the fill hole, or thru the hole where the pump mechcaism is? if so drill out puncture tp size for a bolt, using a rubber washer as a seal on the outside, hot glue the nut to a stick, and thread it on. us and extention with a swivel to hole the nut once threaded on. this is how we fixed thing on the farm in the 50's, only we used chewing gum instead of hot glue.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Self tapping stainless screw and some 3M 5200....