Transom Repair

1961CUTTER

Recruit
Here is a link on how I replaced the transom on my 1961 17' Cutter. This took about 4 months from April to July 2005. I am in no way an expert at this but got lucky it all worked out. I spent way too much money on Bondo, etc. but am glad I did it. The top picture is the most recent. The bottom picture is how the transom looked when I first started working on it. If you are using dialup, you may not see any pictures for a long time. I have several pictures with no thumbnails so just be patient when loading this link. Enjoy and feel free to ask me questions. David<br /><br /> http://www.zpcz.com/1961CUTTER

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Transom Repair

Hi Dave,....<br /><br />Welcome to the forums here at iboats...........<br /><br />That's a Sweet Looking resto......<br /><br />Most of Us do that kind of repair from the Inside,... Rather than trying to get the outside of the transom looking Good again.........<br /><br />Looks Great thou..... ;)

1961CUTTER

Recruit

Yeah, I realized I should have started from the inside about halfway through. DOH! Thanks for the welcome! :)

epresutti

Chief Petty Officer

David,<br /><br />Congrats I hope this all works for you, I found myself restoring the transome from the outside as well.<br /><br />What is this Bondo Glass? Have not heard of it.<br /><br />And welcome.<br /><br />Peace.<br /><br />Ed.

1961CUTTER

Recruit

Originally posted by Ed from Palm Harbor:<br /> David,<br /><br />Congrats I hope this all works for you, I found myself restoring the transome from the outside as well.<br /><br />What is this Bondo Glass? Have not heard of it.<br /><br />And welcome.<br /><br />Peace.<br /><br />Ed.
Bondo Glass is a mix of Bondo and fiberglass. It sets up like putty after you mix it but cures in less than 5 minutes so you have to be fast when using it. It's designed to be used to fill in holes but I used it to rebuild most of my transom making it thicker than the original. If only there was a way to slow down the curing process, it would have been much easier for me.

Bondo

Staff member

If only there was a way to slow down the curing process,
Adding Less Hardener to the Tiger Hair will Slow the Curing Process................<br /><br />Bondo is the generic name for a Fairing Putty made with Poly resins,+ different Powders,+ other fillers......<br /><br />Tiger Hair is a Building Mix made with Poly resins,+ Glass Fibers,+ other fillers.......<br /><br />Both are used extensively in the Autobody trade.......<br /><br /><br />And,.........<br /><br />No,...... That's Not At All where My handle is derived from......... :D

epresutti

Chief Petty Officer

Bondo, David, et al.,<br /><br />Is the Bondo Glass structural? Or is it just a filler?<br /><br />Peace.<br /><br />Ed.

Bondo

Staff member

Ed,...<br />Tiger Hair Does provide Some Structural Strength,.... But, It's Main Purpose is for Filling Large or Thick areas...........<br /><br />I Hope that makes Some sence.....<br /><br />It's Way Stronger than a Powder based filler,...(Bondo).......<br />But it's Not to be used Alone as a Reinforcement,... It's full of Milled Glass Fibers,....It Doesn't replace actual Fabric Reinforcement.......

epresutti

Chief Petty Officer

Bondo,<br /><br />Thanks much, makes lots of sense. For faring I have been using microbaloons with epoxy, for large gaps I use matt or woven glass or a combination of the two. For core I have been using pywood.<br /><br />I try to get things as close as possible to reduce the amount of fill I need.<br /><br />Thank you again. One more thing, in another post you were talking about the two part urathane, I plan on using this to paint my hull, Pettit is the manufacturer I was going to use, any feedback on their products?<br /><br />Peace.<br /><br />Ed.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

Good job I had a 1960 18 footer with the giant fins and a Crysler 120 hp Nice boats i have pictures somewhere I post one when I find them.....