Capacity plate required?

Speedwagon

Petty Officer 1st Class
The capacity/weight/model plate on my boat, is attached to the fiberglass in a spot that I want to cut the fiberglass out of. So, I'm wondering if this plate is required to be on/in the boat, when it is a personal use boat.<br /><br />And what about if I decide to sell the boat later?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Capacity plate required?

I've been Boarded,+ Inspected Many Times...........<br /><br />Never was a Capacity Plate Looked For, or Asked For......... Ever.........

jch7450

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is the real deal from the U.S. Coast Guard! Sec. 183.23—Capacity marking required<br /><br />Each boat must be marked in the manner prescribed in Secs. 183.25 and 183.27 with the maximum persons capacity in whole numbers of persons and in pounds, the maximum weight capacity in pounds, determined under Secs. 183.33 through 183.43, and the maximum horsepower capacity determined under Sec. 183.53 or the statement “This Boat Not Rated for Propulsion by a Motor”.<br />I'd be safe, find someway to mount the Plate. :D

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

And, if you don't have a plate at all?<br />There was not one on the boat I'm tearing up. I didn't even find where one had ever been riveted on. <br />It may have come with one, but, it's just not there now.<br />I would like to put one on there, but, not sure who could make one?

jze1212

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I may have the same problem with mine because it was sanded and painted over....

Speedwagon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by jch7450:<br /> Here is the real deal from the U.S. Coast Guard! Sec. 183.23—Capacity marking required<br /><br />Each boat must be marked in the manner prescribed in Secs. 183.25 and 183.27 with the maximum persons capacity in whole numbers of persons and in pounds, the maximum weight capacity in pounds, determined under Secs. 183.33 through 183.43, and the maximum horsepower capacity determined under Sec. 183.53 or the statement “This Boat Not Rated for Propulsion by a Motor”.<br />I'd be safe, find someway to mount the Plate. :D
Well, there are some exceptions to that I know. Custom boat builders are not required to have them from what I have seen. So I don't know exactly how the exceptions go, but I know they are there.

garrett61

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can buy the aluminum stamp kits and make your own i suppose. I was under the impression i had to make one also..

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The answer as always is "it depends".<br /><br />- Commercial boat builders are required to include one on each boat they plan to sell<br /><br />- The USCG does not require them for home-built or one-off custom built boats <br /><br />- Some states require them to be affixed to the boat at all times. These states will provide one (for a fee) to you if you don't have one. Example = Pennsylvania.<br /><br />- If you don't have one, the boat may be more difficult to insure.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

florida, issues a hull number to homemade boats, and this has to be permantly mounted on the boat. we have a higher rate of boat theft.

fastwater

Seaman Apprentice

In my case,previous owner removed capacity plate and made my life a nightmare when trying to register it.<br />I finally found out through extensive searches what the capacity of the boat was as well as the ser #,manufacturer,etc.<br />If you have cap.plate,at least take a picture of it or save it in case you ever sell it.<br />It will make next owners life easier.<br />You will probably never be checked for one,but you should at least Know about it for safety reasons.<br />Many boats are running more motor than cap. plate recommends.MANY...

DTS1290

Seaman Apprentice

in ohio all the rulebook say on it is that you cannot remove it but if you dont have one it says verbatim no person shall operate a watercraft if a reasonably prudent person would believe the total load aboard or the total horsepower of any motor or engine presents a risk of physical harm to persons or property. i like the term reasonably prudent because its unreasonably ambiguous.<br /><br />regardless the regs on it vary from state to state so check out the DNR website for your state and they can probably tell you. every states boating digest has a section devoted to capacity plates.

Zamboni

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Many 'plates' are just stickers as on my 96 Sea Pro....find out what yours should be and photo shop one up on good adhesive backed vinyl.

KilroyJC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try this:<br />Cut the 'glass neatly around the plate, removing it inact, then either goto the site CRXPilot gave, or follow Zamboni's idea. THEN put the original plate on the piece of fiberglas in a storage compartment so that if anyone ever has any questions you can just pull it out & say "Here you go!"<br /><br />That should make everyone happy (which means it probably won't!).

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

David at custom marine labels did a great job for me. hull # and capacity label for a homemade registered boat.

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer

they also sell the blank plates on e-bay

woody20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was called over two weekends ago and the enviro-police officer made sure to look at the plate on the little sears boat I was in, thank god everything was in order. He says he thought the color sticker I had was old. He even did a check in his head with the two people in the boat, gear engine and thought I was really close to the limit. He just wanted to find something wrong. But I always get a laugh when the state police come around with the enviro-police and do checks, and see the handcuffs come out because you have a small fish.