Evercoat America's Cup White Marine Filler

AUSTIAM1

Recruit
Hi,<br /><br />I am trying desperately to get a hold of a gallon of America's Cup that is made by Evercoat. I have begged the local W Mar here in Nashville to order some, but they will not do it unless it's $500 worth. After contacting Evercoat directly, they can not sell me any directly of course, and even if I found somebody who does carry it, they probably will not ship it cause it's HAZMAT. So far W Mar is the only game in town that I can find who might come close to carrrying it. Does anybody have an idea of what I might possibly do to get some?<br /><br />Since it is a marine grade poly filler, most car body places are not going to have it, and I've heard nothing but rave reviews about the stuff, it just seems impossible to find in land-locked Nashville. Thanks for any suggestions. Albert

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Evercoat America's Cup White Marine Filler

Polyester or Epoxy based fairing mixtures are plentiful. What is unique about this product?<br /><br />Another option is to mix your own. It is easy to do.

studlymandingo

Commander

There is a paint supply store on Murfreesboro Road between Smyrna and Murfreesboro. In the past when I lived in TN, I purchased Evercoat products from them. It's been several years, but coming from Nashville, it's on the right hand side adjacent to a pawn-broker. I know this is vague, but you may be able to look in the yellow pages for murfreesboro and locate them by address on M'boro Road.

AUSTIAM1

Recruit

I will definitely check out the place on Murf Rd, sounds like a nice morning drive with a cup of coffee to continue my goose chase :) When talking with Evercoat, they were willing to check and see if anybody locally, even in TN carried that specific product, but they would not tell me Evercoat dealers in general, which I understood. Nobody close carries the America's Cup product, but I certainly figured there might be somebody who carries their product and could ship it in for me. I'll be happy to go find them.<br /><br />The reason I was going to try it is that I have a few places on an old O'day Daysailor that I needed to fill. They are not load bearing or on stress points, and are on the inside of the boat; typical dry spots. Some are wood, and some are fiberglass. A good friend of mine is a boat broker down in Mobile, and he uses it for smaller jobs instead of the epoxy cause he says it is so much easier to set up and plane. I don't know. <br /><br />I just got on the site here yesterday so I could post my original question, and now that I've been reading some of the posts, I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and use the epoxy since it sounds like it's going to be more sound. I was hoping to avoid weeks of sanding, but then again, I've never done any boat repairs where it wasn't weeks of sanding anyway, so I may be coming around.

studlymandingo

Commander

Well if you do make the trek, on the way up M'boro road there is a boat salvage yard that is just up the road from Smyrna. It will be on the left hand side of the road coming from Nashville. I think it is called Ship Shape Marine, The guy has a little of everything, and he loves to wheel and deal. Quite an interesting character too.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Stop in a local boating supply retailer and they should have several choices for you. Epoxy with the right filler mixed in is very easy to work with. You can also buy pre-mixed "fairing" products like the Evercoat product. There are several brands. A great epoxy based product is called Quick Fair. It is made by System Three. <br /><br />Your local west marine should have more than one alternative for you to choose from.