Transom is in, what I learned

bowlin257

Seaman Apprentice
Replaced transom in 14 ft. FG bass boat. To do this I removed the old wood from the top leaving a empty transom cavity. I used exterior plywood (3 layers) and cut it to fit working to leave a 1/16" of space all around to fill with epoxy resin. Lesson 1, plywood even when glued with epoxy warps. When clamping use bracing to keep it flat. I had to clamp mine with steel bars to warp it back to flat. Lesson 2, I used Mr. Fiberglass epoxy resin,BEFORE you pour in the resin, water test your cavity for leaks. I found I had several very small holes that leaked like crazy. If your worried about resin not flowing into tight spots, forget it, it will. I needed 1 gallon of resin to do the job, I leaked 3/4 gallon while plugging holes. Stopping fresh epoxy from leaking is Very hard, if not impossible. In short I used (wasted)twice as much resin as I needed.<br /> But job is done and it worked out great as far as being strong and functional. Of course the stringers needed to be replaced and the floor which was completed. All new wood, boat should outlast me now.

jze1212

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Transom is in, what I learned

Do you have any pictures from the procedure anywhere??