carb rebuild

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I finally got too go fishing last week and check out my work. With the new impeller at WOT my 79 85hp Rude had water pressure of 22psi!! The tach worked great. But I think I need to rebuld my carbs. When she sits for awhile and you try to crank her,sometimes no problem, sometimes it might almost flood out. And when you get her going she stumbles and might die out. I think that also could be the reason I only got 4800 at WOT. Is there a good website that you can order the kits from? I have a manual and realize I need four kits for the job but is it really that bad. I'd love to do it myself and get my hands dirty so any suggestions to make it easier would be appreciated.<br /><br />Dutch

sloopy

Commander
Re: carb rebuild

you can make your own gaskets thats about as low as you can go though.. :( just make shure to clean everything.... putting the whole carb when done with rebuild in a dishwasher for 3 cycles makes it all nice and shiny!.

plywoody

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The lack of RPM's can be any number of things. Could be the prop ( too much pitch) Could be the motor is mounted too deep. Could be the carbs are not quite fully open or synched. I am sure there are other things it could be.<br />The engine flooding out or dying could be all sorts of things as well. Could be a leaking float seat in the carb, or it could be all manner of other things as well.<br />Before I would pull the carbs, and long before I would put them in the dishwasher, I would try to isolate where the problem is.<br /><br />John

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Hey Dutch,<br />Check with your NAPA dealer. I'll bet he has kits for your carbs.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

fishinhole

Seaman Apprentice

if motor starts fine when cold, but sits awhile and is hard starting, ck. flywheel magnets, on older omc's when they got warm from sitting justa little while they start hard, next time it happens try a pull rope by pulling real fast, if it starts it's the flywheel. had motor just like it. starter could not spin motor fast enough ( even when fully charged) to start motor with weak magnets.

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There's no problem with the starter turning the motor fast enough. The problem I have is when I try to start it after sitting for a while it could be no problem ? Now I haven't been in this boat for 5 months so the tricks I learned about what works and doesn't will have to be relearned.<br />My dad says since we couldn't really open her up, because of stumps everywhere, we didn't really have a chance to tell what was what. I'm happy with the water pressure and that most things work<br />like they should. I have had days when she starts on the first bump everytime so I'll have to go fishing a lot more. I had a hard time even loading her up at the end of the day! I think I'll go fishing Friday or maybe even sooner!!<br /><br />Dutch