Outboard mounting bolt/washer pulled into transom

OceanVU

Cadet
I have a good condition mid '80's boat. One bottom mounting bolt for the V-6 outboard has pulled into the transom and cracked through the glass on inside of transom (washer has pulled through the glass). Transom wood seems solid --no flexing or hollow spots anywhere. Bolt installed from inside with nut on outside of motor. Question--How would you repair? Can I pull a single bolt out of engine and install larger washer and re-install bolt (don't really want to pull entire engine if possible)? How would you seal a single bolt? <br /><br />All suggestions appreciated.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Outboard mounting bolt/washer pulled into transom

Sounds like the transom is starting to rot.<br />Pull the bolt out and check the wood, use a screwdriver or something to poke around, you may need to drill a couple of small holes to check for rot. It is possible to crush the wood (and glass) if you over tighten a large bolt, but if it was OK, then after few years sank into the transom, wet soft wood is the typical cause.<br /><br />Sorry

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

totally agree, the bolt probably was not sealed on installation. starting to rot. for a temp repair you can get a piece of 3X3 aluminum angle about 2 ft long. drill holes to match the two bottom bolts. remove bolts, and add the angle, fill the holes with a good sealer then insert the bolts. stop the water now. this is a temporary fix. you will eventually have to replace the transom. it is typical of a 20 year old.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...... What you're seeing,... Doesn't Happen to a Solid Transom.......<br /><br />I'm Betting you've got some Rot Issues.....<br /><br />T'sdad states a viable option to Possibly get you thru this season,.....A Big Load Bearing Plate.....

lingcod

Petty Officer 2nd Class

that very condition is what got me to start looking at the condition of my boat. It may go well beyond a soft transom. check my pics and you will see what happens when you start lookin at a pulled thru bolt.

OceanVU

Cadet

Thanks for the good insight and suggestions. How would you seal the bolts during support plate installation? (Fill hole with 5200 and slowly push bolt through????) <br /><br />(Ling'--Great picture show on the restoration. Thanks for sharing. I did "similar" repair on my last boat, a 1975 18' boat back in 1995, except your work is much more professional. My old boat has been used hard and is still together 10 years later, so you should get many, many good years out of your restored boat!)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you've got it. make a big mess with the 5200, then clean it up. put a bead of 5200 around the holes in the aluminum, and sandwich it between the alum and transom.