How do I get bow rail fittings off?

RRitt

Captain
A porpoise jumped from port to starboard in front of my bayliner CC trophy and got whacked really hard by the anchor pulpit. Bent the anchor and split all the hull fittings (CPZ) for the bow rail. Poor fish. I know he's 600 lbs of muscle but that still had to hurt. The fittings are held in place with 10-24 stainless screws that go through hull and have flat washer with locknut underneath. I can't figure out how to get at the bottom side of them.<br /><br />What do I do now? I'd really like to permanently remove the bow rail and fittings. They get in the way when we chase tarpon or shark.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How do I get bow rail fittings off?

not positive but if i remember correctly, if some one is on the bow while underway the rails are a Coast Guard requirement. and don't let anyone get hurt up there your insurance wiil be worthless.

Bondo

Staff member

By looking Behind Things,... Maybe even Removing a few Things,....<br />You Should be able to access those nuts.....<br />I'm Sure you'll need to do some Digging........

RRitt

Captain

no way to reach nuts without cutting holes. Is there an easy way to split cpz? maybe then I could use a q-tip to put grease on bolt and then squirt epoxy down the inside of hole. Otherwise, my best idea is to grind & cut off the 30 or so SS 10-24 screws. But how to do that even without risking damage to surrounding fiberglass?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

What year trophy is it? I will be at Bayliner this week and will check with them to see if you can get the screws out.

RRitt

Captain

it is an '89. any help appreciated.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

RRitt<br /><br />Sorry it took so long to reply, my visit was delayed a week. What I found out won't help much, they said on different models, sizes and years of trophys, some of the bolts could be gotten to and others couldn't, so if you haven't found a way to get at them yet, you may not be able to.

flashback

Captain

Rritt, how do you know if the stanchions have a washer and locknut on the them if you can't see them? so that being said, some manufactures actually glass in aluminum plates that are threaded to accept the bolts. try taking a few out and see what happens. If that dosn't work,I would grind the heads off and then punch the bolt on thru and let it land where it will..as far as damage to the glass goes, your going to have a lot of holes to fill anyway...Happy Easter