Paint or replace?

Wkoch

Seaman Apprentice
Just wanted to see what you all think about this. The cowl on my 28hp Rude SPL is looking pretty bad. Is it worth the trouble to paint it or would it be worth the extra $ spent to find a newer one?<br /><br />I have looked for new ones on ebay and else where. Know of any places that sell?<br /><br />Thanks for any help<br />First Mate Wkoch

D

DJ

Re: Paint or replace?

Wkoch,<br /><br />The refinishing of a cowl is pretty straightforward. You can also get the original color from a John/Rude dealer.<br /><br />Any cowl from a later model: 20, 25, 28, 30 or 35 hp. will fit.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Did mine on my Evinrude(Blue). Went to Home Depot and bought some "Spray" Paint Stripper. Just like the stuff you get in a can, only you can spray it on to remove the Existing paint. Works great! Spray it on, let it sit for 1/2 hour and hose off. Next day after it dried off, sanded with 180 and finished with 400 Paper. Taped off seal at the bottom of the Cowl, Cleaned area to be painted, then primed. Sanded lightly after the primer dried and put 3 coats of Paint on, sanding in between. Then hit it with a couple coats of Clear! Bought 2 Cans of Paint at West Marine.(Perfect Match by the way) Also got some “Custom” Decals online and some pinstriping at Autozone. Looks Great and it's a one of a kind hood! Really not that hard. Maybe took about 3 hours and $40.00 altogether.

D

DJ

wkoch,<br /><br />Rick's got the right idea. I started out with OEM paint, but at $8.00 a can, that got old fast. <br /><br />The Tempo brand paint at West marine was a direct match for my Rude 90.<br /><br />I had some decals made, over the internet, for $20.00.<br /><br />Go on e-bay and look under "outboard parts" you'll see plenty of decals. If you contact those folks, they can make some custom for you.

Wkoch

Seaman Apprentice

Hey thanks for the great info. Appreciate you helping out a first time boat owner.<br /><br />Wkoch