How to keep boat straighht

bidlimit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello<br />I am redoing a 68 17' Cobia that needs stringers, transom, floor. It has already had a floor by a previous owner who did a bad job. I will be removing everything and replacing completely. Here is my main question. I need to do three stringers, one on the keel and two about a foot or two out from the center one. Should I remove them all and re glass in new ones or should I take out the center one, glass the replacement in and than move on to the two outer ones? I am afraid the other two stringers could be racking the boat and not removing all before I put in new wood will keep the boat twisted. How do I ensure the boat does not twist or get a hook in it while replacing the stringers? My trailer is crappy and I can't be sure that it is holding the boat straight. Lastly, should I do transom than stringers or vice versa? <br /><br />Thanks for the insight<br />John

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: How to keep boat straighht

Hi John,<br /> When I redid my Starcraft I left the keel in while I did the outer stringers for that very reason. However, I don't think it was a huge issue or necessary, as the hull tends to retain it's shape as molded, unless for some reason it has taken a set since then. I did make it a point to make sure I wasn't in the boat when the epoxy was getting ready to kick, as I didn't want any distortion due to my weight to become permanent. <br /> I redid the transom first, only removing the last foot or so of the stringers so that I could get around the transom area easier. I did this because the stringers eventually had to be tied into the transom and I figured it would be easier with the transom already in place. Pics of my project at www.pfs-ware.com/smith...<br />- Scott

BillP

Captain

John,<br />I restored a 1965 17' Cobia a few years ago. It had three stringers and a 1/2" thick sheet of plywood glassed into the bottom as a core (original construction). The hull was laid up first and then the sheet laid down on top and glassed in. Then the stringers added on top of the ply. To be safe I cut out the core and found it was still perfect...then added a new core sheet and glassed stringers down on top. I used 3/4 ply for the side stringers and 2" dimensional lumber for the center stringer. Transom was cut and installed after the stringers were done. All wood was CCA PT and air dried in my shop first. I bulked up and used 3/4" PT ply for the floors too...the extra weight didn't make enough difference to matter. It took 13 gals of epoxy plus glass. It gets beat pretty hard on the river here and has shown no problems.<br /><br />These hulls are thick and stiff. When I cut the old floor out I left a 2-3" lip around the edges to help keep the hull straight. It worked fine. I did the job by cutting only the splashwell out so the deck stayed on and kept the hull straight.<br /><br />Do you have any pics?<br /><br />Bill

bidlimit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Bill<br />Since the floor is not origninal I figured the edge of the deck won't help much. I am going to let the edge of the new floor rest on top of the outboard most stringer, hopefully this will lend a little more strength. My hull is solid glas. I have already removed the top deck to facilitate replacing the transom because the motor well was completely blocking acess. I am just worried about leaving the stringers in because the ones in there now are of questionable construction and could be deforming the hull. I don't have pics on the web, but if you give my your e-mail I can send you some.<br /><br />John

crab bait

Captain

before glue 'set-up',, lay a good/true/stra8 2x4 across the top of boat at mid-ships.. <br /><br />get back 10 yards an 'eyeball' the transom an the 2x4.. kneel/squat so there's an inch or so 'airgap' between the two.. <br /><br />your eye can detect any mi-nute discrepency of rack.. <br /><br />jack/wedge/pry to get the rack out..if any..