repowering 31 ft silverton

rdsr

Seaman Apprentice
help i am pulling both engines 318 chryslers any advice appreciated should i build a hoist or rent one? never pulled boat engine or car for that matter having engines rebuilt thanks

Nikko

Seaman
Re: repowering 31 ft silverton

I drove a (regular everyday one ton) tow truck for years that had a hydraulic boom (extendable with an additional bolt-on gin pole). I'll bet I pulled or installed three or four marine engines every week during the spring and fall. Boats could be in the water or on land - didn't matter. I had about 20' of working height to the bottom of the hook. <br /><br />Once the engine was out, I could move it to wherever they had a stand or cradle set up and get it all ready for them to do what they needed to do. <br /><br />I charged by the hour, but it was rare that the bill ever went over the minimum charge.<br /><br />Good luck!<br />Nikko

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm not familiar with your layout, it they're in the cabin, you'll need to rig something. If they're under the back deck, a hired boom truck will work. Ask around, every boatyard/mechanic should have something welded up you could maybe borrow. Mark everything, pull the manifolds and heads, makes wrestling it a bit more fair. Good luck!

rdsr

Seaman Apprentice

thanks nikko you to capt'mike will post some photos

gatorred

Petty Officer 1st Class

are you changing motor's or rebuilding them i try newer type of motor 318 is a good motor but rpm range try small volvo motor's shipshape tv had a show on repowering if this is posible look up shipshape tv they tell you more they took out v8 chev to do it

rdsr

Seaman Apprentice

thanks greg i am rebuilding the 318 engines transmissions are 30 years old afraid i may blow them next

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you're worried about the transmisions, now would be a good time to pull them, paint them, and maybe replace the clutch plates.

gatorred

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have book stuff on mopar small block's i have one in 1979 chrysler but mine a 360 it ran great till it was parked in trailer,trany is one of the problem's i had i just had them come apart went to clutch had slipping problem's to but the car i have now has automatic's in everthing i drive there is clutch in mecurcy out drive i have a 120 it ran good,if need engine tech just ask i have scanner and some book's evenrude v6 1991,9.9,35,<br />mecurcy out drive and engine,350,500,800 that outboard and inboard merk omc outboard's the 1979 chrysler was my dad's retirement car from the FOP <br />in 1982 I never belive it's mine now

Always Broke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If it's possible I'd go with Nikko's tow truck idea. I ran a tow truck for a while and not only pulled motors for people I also just left them right on the boom ran a few chains to the back of the truck to steady them and delivered them as well. It saved a lot of work and money in the long run.