Guide post construction

nightvision

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all,<br />I'm in the process of training my wife to drive the boat up the trailer and we are having some difficulties. I think what I need are some guide post to help give her a visual cue. <br /><br />I was watching Ship Shape and they had a set of guide post made of aluminum and they inserted a bigger size PVC pipe around it. I'm interested in making my own and was wondering if I can just make it out of PVC only without the need of the aluminum? Our ramp does not have a current and the guide would just be for visual cues. Do you think PVC with a 90 degree bend will do OK? Or do I need some strength with the aluminum?

NBE

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Guide post construction

If you are wanting to make your own then a lot depends on what size of boat you are talking about. Let us know what type of boat you have and maybe we can figure it out.<br /><br />I have an aluminum flat fishing boat and I probably could do with just using the PVC. But if I was wanting them on my 21" jet boat with its tandem trailer, then I would definitely opt for something with more strength. <br /><br />On my fishing trailer I used two 1/8" thick aluminum pipe and had it bent. The 1/8" turned out to be a little over-kill. If I were to do it again I would use the 1/16" fence pipe mentioned below.<br /><br />I drilled holes through both the short section of pipe and the top crossrail of my trailer, sprayed the holes and all with cold galvanizing spray, and secured everything with 4 bolts, two on each pipe. I used the drilling and bolts mostly because of the non-availability of 8 to 10 inch u-bolts around here. I could have ordered them from the internet but decided not to.<br /><br />The lightweight fence post normally used for chainlink fences also makes a good guide post. You can get them at places like Home Depot and have them bend a 90 degree bend with about 12 - 16 inches from the bend to one end of the pipe.<br /><br />If your boat is light enough where you would consider using straight PVC I would go ahead and get the fence pipe and use it. You can always put some PVC pipe over the fence pipe if you want to. Some do.<br /><br />There are lots of choices and different ways to do it. Let us know what type of boat and trailer and maybe someone else can comment on another choice.<br /><br />Good Luck!

nightvision

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Brad,<br />Thanks for the response. Here is some more info on my boat. I have a 17.5 bowrider sitting on a shoreland'r trailer. I guess it might be better if I go with aluminum. Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member

Here's a shot of the 1s I built,........<br /><br />
trailerguideonsgen1.jpg
<br /><br />There's a smaller pc. of Aluminum tube that's welded to the mounting bracket,....<br />The Larger(2") aluminum tube slips down over the smaller 1,......<br />And,...... The short pc. of Plastic tubing slides over All of it,.. To stiffen the joint,+ to give the hull some "Soft" surface to rub on......

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer

mine are regular old 3/4" gavinized pipe with threaded 90's for the bends,and bolted through the back rail on the trailer. the old guy before me made them, but they are pretty solid and not too ghettto, so I feft em on there