Where is Ken Hankinson?

tugsarecool

Cadet
I recently bought study plans from Ken Hankinson deigns over the web to get familiar with this future project. I've finally made the decision to proceed with it. I went to his website only to be redirected to the glen-l page. They do not have the design I want and have no information on Ken. It sounds like they don't want to have anything to do with him. What the heck happened?

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Where is Ken Hankinson?

From what I read, Ken has simply retired and wants nothing to do with the business. People/companies have tried to contact him and inquire about buying his portfolio, but he appearently is not interested in selling it. This has been going on for a fairly long period of time.<br /><br />I would look around for a comparable design. What design are you interest in?

tugsarecool

Cadet

The design was small tug/cruiser. The length was 21'. The boat was to have approx.50 hp, diesel with inboard propulsion. I have seen many designs from various people, Mal Low, Glen L, Delvin, Fairmetal. The Ken Hankinson design was decided upon based on the look of the boat, ease of construction, and the clarity supplied in the plans. It also was the right size for what we are planning it for, primarily short weekend trips, overnighters and cruising. I can't tell you how disappointed I am after doing all of this planning, preparation and research.

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

They added a Hankinson forum over on the Glen-l board. Fishingdan is right, he retired and his plans aren't available anymore. One poster on the Glen-L site pointed out that when you go to Hankinson's old site you are automatically forwarded to the Glen-L site. In pointing this out they suggested that the Glen-L people are in the process of obtaining the rights to Hankinson's plans. <br /><br />I don't have any direct knowledge - this is what I've read about it. If people don't spread nearly baseless rumors like this on the internet what would we have to look at. <br /><br />Just doing my part...

tugsarecool

Cadet

I suppose all I can do is wait and see what shakes out. I wrote to Trailer Boat magazine last night. Ken wrote a column in this publication for 17 years so I am hoping that someone there will be able to shed some light on this puzzle. I'm really hoping that the plans will become available. Ken's approach to boat building is one that lends itself so well the novice and experienced boatbuilder.