painting livewells?

Hey guys, got a question about redoing my built in livewells. What kind of paint could i use to paint them, that would not kill my fish or bait? I want to use a lite blue color so i can see my bait fish easier.<br />Thanks.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: painting livewells?

You might be better off applying a blue tinted gelcoat.

MRS

Commander

why not paint and then glass over that should do it? :D

Wouldnt the gel coat eventually asorb water and haze over? Wonder about using a good enamel, like rustoleum? would that work? or would it not last?

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My only concern with paint is that most paint isn't waterproof and is not designed to be in contact with water all of the time. That is the only reason I mentioned gelcoat. You may be able to find a true waterproof paint. <br /><br />Modern gelcoat is different from the old stuff. It doesn't allow water through like the old stuff. <br /><br />What is on the surface of the livewells now? <br /><br />What is

The livewells are all molded white plastic, but they are stained so bad they appear greenish black. I try cleaning them but i guess they are permanetly stained. Thats when my idea of painting them came to mind.

2manyboats

Seaman

A good epoxy paint, once fully cured, is inert and shouldn't affect your live bait.

Twidget

Commander

Pool paint possibly? I have seen light blue used quite often.

woosterken

Lieutenant

How about putting a lite in there (l.e.ds are water proof)or put it on the lid with a switch like a car trunk lite. it would only come on when you open the lid.<br />ken

woosterken

Lieutenant

put an l.e.d lite (they are water proof)in the bottom or put it on the lid with a switch like a car trunk,then it would only come on when you open the lid.<br />ken

Thanks for all the replies Guys, Im going to look into the pool paint, if i cant get it in quart size, ill try another type of expoy based paint.

imported_bjs

Petty Officer 1st Class

are your livwells plastic? most paint wont stick to plastic.unless you buy a special paint.ive never had much luck painting plastic.good luck