Aluminum boat restoration, paint?

kiwi1982

Cadet
I have a mid 70’s 14ft aluminum star craft, the outside of the boat is not painted, what would be your advice on cleaning up this boat and making it look better, would it be to paint it if so what kind of paint or is there a better option to painting. I am not looking for any collector’s piece just something to keep me busy over winter and to go fishing in next summer.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Aluminum boat restoration, paint?

Use a zinc oxide primer on bare aluminum, after that, paint away. The boat really does not need paint though as the aluminum will oxidize and basically protect itself. Up to you.<br /><br />If you're really bored you could buff the whole thing to a mirror finish and seal it with Flitz or something. Use it to blind those pesky jetfleas next spring. :D <br /><br />spots

2manyboats

Seaman

Scrub it clean, wash w/ a 50/50 white vinegar/water mix, zinc chromate primer (1 coat), then whatever paint you'd like.<br /><br />Jetfleas...there's an apt characterization-I like that!

imported_bjs

Petty Officer 1st Class

you can also use etching primer a lot less $$$.they also have some expoy primers that will stick to alum.zinc oxide is bad to breath read warning labels close it says will CAUSE CANCER NOT MIGHT CAUSE CANCER!!!!!in kansas i dont think they even sale zinc primer to genral public anymore.nobody uses that zinc anymore to toxic.

18rabbit

Captain

There is no substitute for zinc chromate primer. It is still the best for painting aluminum, but clean the aluminum first as 2manyboats says.<br /><br />Best source for zinc chromate primer is aircraft supplys, either locally or online. What do ya think all of those aluminum arplanes are primed with?!?<br /><br />Note: zinc chromate primer comes into colors, yellow and green. For a boat it doesn;t matter, use whichever. Do be careful as racer 15 suggests.

kiwi1982

Cadet

I have been thinking and I think I just want to really give the aluminum a good clean, I thought about paint or mirror bright finish however i think the mirror bright might spook the fish ( which is my main priority, and I think the paint will be prone to chipping, anyhow what would be the best way to give the aluminum a good clean, any products you would suggest, and or techniques.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Hit it with a ScotchBrite pad. Unless you seal it, it will just oxidize over so don't worry about making it shiny. (New BassTrackers are all shiny right out of the factory but thay all turn that mottled gray after they spend some time outdoors.)<br /><br />I like your plan, give her a good cleaning and put 'er to work!<br /><br />spots

imported_bjs

Petty Officer 1st Class

yea i know airplanes are primed with zinc cormate and its good stuff.but its deadly when handled wrong.but etching primer will work ive painted a lot of semi trucks made of alum.etch primer works fine.but you do whatever you want.