Hull Dent Repair? -- 25' Chieftain

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick1969ca

Recruit
Hello everyone... I just purchased a 1975 25'Chieftain with a trailer. Problem is the previous owner by accident dented the hull about 10" starboard of center and about five feet in from the stern from the roller trailer. Dent is not perfectly circular, about 12" in radius and goes sort of deep... about 1.5" at its deepest. Owner says it does not leak. <br /><br />What should I do if I find that it does leak? Try to bang it out from the inside? Just leave it? Have it repaired how? The aluminum on the bottom is quite thick and so are the rivets. Anyone have experience with this? It's a freshwater boat on Lake Ontario. <br /><br />Other than that it's great with a Volvo Penta outdrive and GM 250 straight six motor.<br /><br />Thanks in advance for any replies.<br /><br />RL

mccurtis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Hull Dent Repair? -- 25' Chieftain

You might talk to someone who does paintless dent repairs on cars and trucks. Good luck - MC

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I had a similar dent on my SS but it was smaller. I pulled the floor and removed some of the foam to get access. None of the rivits or ribs were damaged so I was very lucky. Hamered out what I could but it was "oil canning" so and had to cut a "X" in the middle, put in a backer plate on the inside and had it all welded inside and out. Last thing was filling and fairing with a flexible epoxy. I had similar damage on the side and did the same thing.

Attachments

• DSCF0040.jpg
    DSCF0040.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0536.jpg
    DSCF0536.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

6 year old thread.......

Status