Rebuiling my Chieftain

skipy

Cadet
Ok, time to rebuild my Chieftain as the cabin ceiling became moldy. I then decided to remove the cabin altogether and the helm station..and the sink cabinet and rebuild them. The cabin is now off, the helm station is no more and now my question is this. Do I need to add a bulkhead slightly aft of where the cabin windshield was or not? I saw a photo of a conversion that was done like this before and it looks as though a bulkhead was added about 12" aft of the bow hatch. Is this necessary do you think?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Rebuiling my Chieftain

I've got an Islander,.... Same Hull/Boat with a Lower cabin.......<br /><br />I don't know about the Chieftain,... But,.. It's a Starcraft Hull,.........<br />It Needs All the Bulkheads you Can possibly build Into It.........<br />I've added Several Bulkheads, Braces, etc. into Mine..........<br /><br />Leave 1 Out,+ You Could be Screwed........<br />Build in an Extra 1,+ At Worst,... The Hull will be Stiffer,+ Stronger..........

skipy

Cadet

Does the wall between the helm and the cabinter on the starboard side act as a bulkhead? It doesn't feel like it. Maybe its just bolted to a support under the floor. The floor is solid so no need to replace it, just gonna seal it and repait it with garage floor paint. Used that earlier in the spring it it did a wonderful job of sealing the floor.

Bondo

Staff member

Does the wall between the helm and the cabinter on the starboard side act as a bulkhead?
Ayuh,....... All of the Cabin Wall IS a Bulkhead........<br />Both sides Should be Securely Fastened on 3 sides, forming 2 matching Bulkheads............

skipy

Cadet

Ok, so then I can remove but must replace or I can cut to shorter size and leave in place?

Bondo

Staff member

Well,......<br />You can Do as You Please,.......<br /><br />As long as you restore the Support that it's Supposed to Provide.......<br /><br />Those 2 Cabin Walls,... Actually Support the Cabin Roof,+ by doing so,.. <br />Help to relieve the Hull Flexing that takes place in that area of the Hull.....<br /><br />They've Got to be tied into the Floor Stringers,...<br />The Cabin Roof(Or the Dashboard, depending on How you're looking at it)......<br />And,... Mine are tied into the Sidepanels as well.......<br />The Sub-assemblies actually create a Full Bulkhead.......

skipy

Cadet

Hmmmm...Well there is no cabin any longer and the header that was there above the door was rotted way before I got the boat...Guess when I remove the cabinets I'll look at that wall a little closer and see if I can't replace it with something a little more sturdy and tie it back to the hull to reduce any flex.

Bondo

Staff member

Well,......<br /><br />I like Metals,+ Welding,.... Rather than Wood....<br />Here's what I built for bulkheads a few years ago.......<br />The Forward Bulkhead is pretty straight forward,.. :rolleyes: I just welded up an aluminum bulkhead,+ Rivited,+ Glued it into place.....<br /><br />
forwardbulkheadcenter.JPG
<br />
forwardportbulkhead.JPG
<br /><br />The Main Bulkhead, cabin back wall, cockpit frontwall,.. Whatever....<br />I welded up an aluminum frame,+ stuffed a vinyl clad sheet of plywood into it, to hold the radios,+ whatnot....<br /><br />
bulkheaddash.JPG
<br /><br />This is from inside the cabin, see how the frame follows the hull to deck to cabintop.....<br /><br />
bulkheadhulldeck.JPG
<br /><br />This 1 is where the bulkhead ties the floor,+ stringers together.....<br /><br />
bulkheadfloorstringer.JPG
<br /><br />Sorry for the clutter,.... Shes being worked on......... ;)

skipy

Cadet

Ok, Let me look up close here when wooden bulkhead comes out and I get back on this. Wasn't aware that the rear cabin wall of the Chieftain also acted as a bulkhead....Thanks!!