thinking of getting this boat to restore

mikemerrill50

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hey guys, this is my first thread here, and i'm about to buy a boat next week. this site seems like the place to be. i might be getting a 71 Cobia 170 Classic with trailer and johnson 60 (not working) for $650 plus tax. here's a link:<br /> http://www.laniermarine.net/moredetails.html?81346242&sitecode=laniermarine <br /><br />I already placed a deposit to reserve it, but if i choose a different boat on their site, my deposit will hold. i have rebuilt a seadoo, and i work on my truck almost monthly (accessorizing, not repairing), and now i'm ready to move up to boating. i myself am new to working on boats, but i have close friends who have experience.<br /><br />please let me know what you think about the boat above. i am posting this late sunday night, and I am going to their lot tuesday morning. <br /><br />what all should i look for? judging by those pictures, i assume i will need to rebuild the stringers. they will float test it for me in the lake to show me that it floats, and they claim the engine worked not too long ago. however, for $650, i'm not asking much.<br /><br />also, i'm wondering if you all think I should put flotation foam in the hull. i've done a search, but i haven't been able to decide based on previous posts.<br /><br />i'll try to talk them down a bit more in price of course, but is $650 a steal? most people I have asked have said yeah.<br /><br />thank you so much, and I look forward to talking to you guys in the future.

tr918

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: thinking of getting this boat to restore

I could not get the link to work. Sight unseen I would say that $650 is a good price if the hull and transom are in good shape. Check for soft spots in the hull and transom. If the transom needs to be replaced then you could probably knock another 200-300 dollars off of that price. <br /><br /> My $.02 on floatation foam is if it was there originally then I would replace it(better safe then sorry). The foams purpose is to keep the boat from completely sinking in a catastrophic event.<br /><br />If you have never worked on an outboard before then you are in for a learning experience. They are generally easy to repair but mind boggling to troubleshoot. Check compression on the motor and see if you can get it started while you are up there. Your compression numbers will give you an overall idea of whether the motor is salvageable.<br /><br />Good luck and let us know how it turns out.<br /><br />-TR

tr918

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I almost forgot, <br /><br />WELCOME TO THE BOARDS :D !!!!

mikemerrill50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

http://www.laniermarine.net/moredetails.html?81346242&sitecode=laniermarine <br /><br />there's the link again. the first one messed up somehow. alright, since the motor is attached to the transom, i'll just shake the motor and see if it moves the transom any. and of course i'll already see if the engine hangs off the side any, and if the transom bows out too much. i guess i can go out and get a compression gauge today, but i'm gonna have to be able to turn the engine over to do that, and there's no battery in the boat. right?<br /><br />also, how do i find out if the boat originally had foam? call up the manufacturer? i'll ask the guys at the lot, but if they don't know, who should i ask? i'll ask in a new thread, but what if nobody knows? i guess i'll just do it!<br /><br />an unrelated question, they have used gas tanks starting at $2 a gallon. where are some good, cheap places to get new gas tanks? i'm thinking of going permanent. i'm also wondering how large of a tank i should get with a 60hp (and i'd like to upgrade to a 75 or 80 down the road if i have to fix the transom)<br /><br />and i'm happy to be here. sounds like the people in the threads i've searched through know what they're talking about.

mikemerrill50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

someone tell me what they think of the stringers in that boat. they look a little messed up. think it's enough to cut the price a bunch?

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm all for rescuing boats, but that boat appears to be over priced even at $650. In that condition, the hull is worth nothing. If the engine is not working, it is worth next to nothing (you could probably sell some of the parts that are in decent condition). An ok condition used trailer can be bought for $200-$300. I wouldn't pay more than that for that boat. <br /><br />If you move forward with this, you should consider it a hull up restore. From the exterior pictures, the hull looks like it is in decent shape. The interior requires no comment. From the pictures, it is hard to tell the condition of the stringers. If the floor was removed because of rot, you can probably assume that any other wood in the boat (usually stringers and transom) also has some rot. <br /><br />If you like the lines of the boat and are realistic about the effort and cost, go for it. It could be a beautiful boat again.

mikemerrill50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i understand the cost involved, but the think i'll like is that the boat was all done by me. i'm very handy with wood, and somewhat handy with fiberglass, so I should be able to do the stringers and transom. this is a multi-year project, so i'm expecting hard work. i'll see how much I can talk those guys down. $650 seemed ok assuming the stringers and transom were alright, but when i get there, if they are bad, i'll tell them i'm not payin much, if any at all for the boat.<br /><br />thanks for the replies, guys. also, i would almost prefer no stringers to be in the bottom, so that I could plan out where the gas tanks will go, where the wires will be run, where the bilge pump is, etc. i kinda want just a hull to build up, so this seems good. but i'll argue the price way down.<br /><br />they have used gas tanks starting at $2, so i'll tell them i want a bunch of stuff included if i'm paying $650 (gas tank, spare trailer wheel, stuff like that).<br /><br />thanks!<br /><br />and also, what size gas tank would you guys recommend for a 60hp-80hp. i'm not going long ranges, but i'd like to be able to ride around in the creeks for multiple hours. say ride 2-4 hours total in one fillup, anchoring in between there. i would like to do a two tank setup, and i'm wondering if 2 20 gallon tanks would fit. thanks!

kfraser

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like that boat. I'd see if I could get them down some more on the price though. The stringers in the bottom are there for support. If they are rotton, you will have to replace them. The transom is what I'd be looking at. Not too expensive to replace, but a major project as far as labor is concerned. If your looking at a several year refit and know the costs and amount of work going in, go for it. Add at least 1k to the total estimate for the unknown and the bajillion trips to the marine and hardware store for bolts, nuts, washers, ect. You'll have plenty of time to research fuel tanks and such down the road. First thing is to decide if this is the project boat you really want. Personally, I think it would make one fine looking classic.

tr918

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with kfraser. After seeing the photos I would try and get the price down a bit.

mikemerrill50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks, guys. i'm leaving at about 5-6am tomorrow to go down and get it (about a 320 mi. drive). what would be the best way to check the stringers, since they are completely glassed over (the ones in the stern, anyways). just stand on them and see if there are any soft spots?<br /><br />my steps for restoring are:<br />-stringers, foam, permanent gas tanks, bilge system<br />-elecrical wiring<br />-floor<br />-electronics/interior<br />-motor/mechanical (rebuild or replace)<br /><br />and other crap along the way.<br /><br />again, thanks, and i'll update yall tomorrow. who knows... maybe i'll find another boat that's a better deal (but i really want this boat)

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Take an ice pick and jab it into the stringers and inside or top of the transom. Maybe even a cordless drill. That would make a nice boat all restored but try and get it as cheap as you can if you decide to buy. You'll need a new modern steering system, but don't toss out the old stuff, sell it on ebay. There are plenty of guys screwing around with little wooden boats and motors that would like to get ahold of your cable system :D

mikemerrill50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i don't think they'll let me take a cordless drill to the stringers! haha. i'll see how low i can haggle these guys. the salesman on the phone was really pressuring me to buy it, so we'll see what happens. would you recommend a hydraulic steering system if i plan on going to a 75hp or 100hp motor (if it's possible on this boat)? if i stick with a 60, would a regular link steering system work?<br /><br />thanks again!

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

hydraulic steering is not necessary for that size engine and boat.

mikemerrill50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well, i didn't get that boat. i got a different one instead. $929 for boat and trailer, talked them down to $650 including a gas tank, extra trailer wheel, and for them to install lights on the trailer while i ate wendy's ;-)<br /><br /> http://www.laniermarine.net/moredetails.html?75506635&sitecode=laniermarine <br /><br />that's what i got instead. much better shape in person, and used primarily in freshwater, unlike the cobia. will still have to fix the transom and stringers and floor, but the cobia needed all new glass (which was curved glass), and all kinds of other crap.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I'm not sure if you have the correct link, it says 1977 Manatee, $229.00, you paid $650?

mikemerrill50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

"$929 for boat and trailer, talked them down to $650"<br /><br />boat + trailer! trailer was $700, boat was $229. I got both for less than the price of the trailer. the trailer's in great condition, and boat isn't bad at all, so I'm happy.

mikemerrill50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

wow... sorry if my reply sounded *******-ish!<br /><br />the cobia wasn't in as good condition as it was made to sound on the phone, and i liked this one, so i told the salesman i wanted the manatee on that trailer for the same price. he laughed at first, and i just looked at him seriously. he thought about it, and said ok, $650 total for the $700 trailer and the $229 boat. i then noted some problems with this boat (ripped up floor, rotted stringers, the trim is missing from the top of the transom, indicated water entering through the screwholes), and said i'd pay $650 if they installed some trailer lights on the trailer and gave me a spare trailer wheel for the road. he thought about it and said, ok. they fixed up everything while i ate wendy's, and then i drove it 290 mi. up here to boone with no problems.<br /><br />i'm very happy, but i'm not really going to be able to work on it too much til summertime. i'm trailering it down to charleston, sc, where i'm from, but i'm going to school at appalachian state in boone, nc. first step: cleanup

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Mike, Thanks for posting your experience with Lanier Marine. They seem to have acres and acres of boats down there. I have often toyed with the idea of going down just to buy a hull and trailer for my next project. <br /><br />Just a few questions for you:<br /><br />Do you think they have more than what is on the website? <br /><br />Did you see the piles of railings and ladders thay have? What condition are they?<br /><br />Do they seem willing to work with you on putting together the "package" you want or did you feel they gave you special treatment?<br /><br />Thanks again,<br /><br />Mark.<br /><br />EDIT:<br />BWT I had my eye on that Manatee. Nice hull with really high sides and transom. Thought it would be great to make a small cabin cruiser/day cruiser out of.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Congrats Mike. That will a nice project boat for you.

mikemerrill50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

they don't really have more than what's on their website, in fact they tend to have a bit less than what's on their website... the tend not to remove boats very quickly from the website. the guys seemed somewhat nice, though a couple knew nothing about boating (luckily, my salesperson did not). my salesperson was name Mike (only mike there). the place is basically a boatyard with a bit of a rundown shop. i didn't look at their ladders, but they had quite a few trailer parts, tons of used gauges/throttles/steering systems. if you want a used part that isn't vehicle specific give them a call. however, alot of it wasn't very cosmetically good. as you can image, because it's basically a salvage yard.<br /><br />for project boats, i recommend them. however, don't drive across the country to get a working boat, because i feel they don't know enough to sell a good working used boat. for salvaged/project boats, especially older 70's and 80's boats, check them out. they also have several trailers that don't have boats on them that they could sell. they definitely worked on getting a boat/trailer package. when i asked if they had a trailer for one of the boats i was thinking about, they replied, "heck yeah we do," so they won't have much of a problem putting a trailer under one of the trailer-less boats they sell.<br /><br />i looked at the free boats they have, and the hulls seemed intact. i would have chosen one of those, but i couldn't stand the style of 'em. plus, none of the free one's had a v-hull like i need to go fishing just offshore. mainly lake and river boats. if i lived on a lake, and i was into the boxier style (which i probably would be if i didn't live on the ocean and see v-hulls all the time), then i would trailer one or two out in a heartbeat.<br /><br />thanks for the confidence, guys, i will be keeping yall updated and asking questions along the way.<br /><br />thanks!