Capacity Question

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My new boat (2010 Polar Center Console Bay Boat) indicates 6 persons on the capicity plate. However, I just received my registration in today's mail which indicates a capacity of 9 persons. Does this sound like a mistake or is it perhaps that the boat commission uses a weight & volume formula to determine their own capacity?<br /><br />Is there any harm in leaving the 9 person capacity alone of should I bring it to the commissions attention?<br /><br />Helpful thoughts appreciated.<br /><br />Kevin

delsol

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Capacity Question

hey my 17 ft 1988 cobia is rated <br />get this 7 people 935lbs<br />really 2 adults 1 11yr and crowded<br />bob in philly

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Don’t worry about it. The Coast Guard is not going to give a rats butt about what your registration says. It's all about the capacity plate

nimmor

Petty Officer 1st Class

You might check on the registration and see if it is costing you more money. They maybe classifing your boat as bigger than what it is and charging you more taxes. It may only make a few dollars differance but over time that can add up. Other than that I wouldn't be worried with it.

D

DJ

The water patrol only cares about the cap. plate, as previously stated.

jamielong

Cadet

i have got a previous post concerning this subject. I've got a 1981 20' trophy hardtop. i am unable to locate the capacity plate. any ideas where is should be located or how to obtain a new one? I fish in neah bay WA. there is a Coast Guard station there. law of averages says I'll get caught eventually.<br /> jamielong

D

DJ

jamie,<br /><br />Generally not a good idea to hijack someone elses thread. Resurect your own.<br /><br />Your boat was made by Bayliner. They are right in your backyard. Perhaps they can help?