1962 Owens 30' Cabin Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

bertherr

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Can anyone tell me where these boats were manufactured? I am thinking of buying one of these old wooden boats and was wondering about who made them. It is a 1962 30' Owens with twin engines. Thanks, Bert

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1962 Owens 30' Cabin Cruiser

I don't know about all Owens boats, but they were made in Dundalk, Md in a plant next to Bear Creek.<br />Not far from Baltimore City on the east side.<br />It was about a 1/2 mile from my house growing up.<br />I knew a few people that worked there that layed up fiberglass. I still spot them around the area from time to time.

bertherr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the replies. I'll let you know if I purchase one. Bert

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

As much as I remember they always had a good reputation.<br />I always thought they were good looking boats.<br />A 42 year old wood boat though, who knows.

bertherr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I decided to pass on the 1962 Owens. The hull appeared to be in very good shape. The boat is in the water and takes on about 6" of water every other week. The rest of the boat needed too much work. The price was right - $1.00. Bert

Dave Stabile

Recruit

Can anyone tell me where these boats were manufactured? I am thinking of buying one of these old wooden boats and was wondering about who made them. It is a 1962 30' Owens with twin engines. Thanks, Bert

Bert,
They were made in Baltimore,Md. However, Owens Inc was bought by Brunswick and then by Concorde in 1970 and shortly thereafter liquidated completely.

Be advised, they are a good quality boat. There are lots of them still around. One must look long and hard to find one in good shape. I bought a 30' 21yrs ago in bad shape. I re-built the whole hull in 2 yrs and repowered. I have had nothing but good times with it.

Though it may take more time than you may want to put into it it is well worth it. If you decide to buy and fix remember, since they are double planked the best way to repair is to completely replace all of it which is the only way you won't be repeating the job a few years later. Patch work isn't worth the time spent.

Be careful of the price you pay! Ask advice (get a survey) before purchasing. Only then can you get a true evaluation of the project.

DJS

Ned L

Commander

That may have ben a good decision on your part. By the 1960's Owens' were pretty much 'entry level' boats that were quite lightly built (their earlier boats were mahogany planked & I think pretty decent, but thier later wood ones were plywood) . They were known for rot problems. they were never high on resale value.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

This is a 7 year old thread..........:facepalm::facepalm: I'm sure Bert has moved on ;);):)

Ned L

Commander

OK, so I missed that DJS dredged up an old post. :facepalm::facepalm: that Owens is probably compost by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.