Inflatable Vest for toddler ( 25 pounds )

tom03

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,<br /><br />Im looking for an inflatable PFD for my 1 yr old girl ( 25 pounds ). The only ones I found so far are for 50 pounds up, idea where to get a one for 25 pounds and up ?<br /><br />Thanks, Tom

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: Inflatable Vest for toddler ( 25 pounds )

i USED a yellow, glow-in-the-dark regualr vest fro my daughter when she was 18 months old, and even earlier... i dont think ive ever seen an INFLKATABLE one that small

tom03

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by phatmanmike:<br /> i USED a yellow, glow-in-the-dark regualr vest fro my daughter when she was 18 months old, and even earlier... i dont think ive ever seen an INFLKATABLE one that small
Yes, I was just thinking an inflatable one gives them more room to move, on the other hand there are for sure reasons why there isnt an inflatable one for the very little ones.<br /><br />Any alternatives appreciated. :)

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Little children should have a vest with a 'neck'. The vests are designed to keep their head out of water and place them on their backs face up. They have a handle on the neck to easily grab them when afloat. I wouldn't recommend an inflatable vest for a toddler.<br /><br />Do try out in the water whatever you buy for your child. Remember the idea is to keep their face out of the water.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Congratulations on not being one of those parents who say "oh, 50lbs, 25lbs, whatever, that's close enough."<br /><br />Just to be sure, I always try to lift the child by grasping the PFD at the top of the arm holes. If it comes up past their chin, we got some adjusting to do.

BF

Lieutenant

yup to the above... also the "crotch strap" on the small pfd's is important when it comes to keeping the jacket from riding up in the water.<br /><br />I personally like regular pfd's (crotch strap, collars and handles) for my kids. They use them when they're swimming in the lake and even use them in pools. Being familiar with how the jacket works & feels would make an unexpected dunk in the lake more bearable for them. I don't think you'd get that familiarity with an inflatable. Wearing a pfd on the boat, around a pool or on the dock is just "a rule", and they don't know any better, so they've never complained that they're un-comfortable (which I don't think they are anyway).<br /><br />Or you could get an assortment of old "key hole" lifejackets like we had when I wuz a kid. Then they'd always remember the neck rashes they'd get when they went fishing.. :D <br /><br />Brent

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

Mustang makes a nice PFD for children. Not inflatable, but they have a crotch strap so the kid can't slip out, a grab strap to lift a kid out of the water & an extra flotation collar so the kid should turn or float face up. They come in a few different sizes, even for infants. <br />I still have mine for any tiny passengers.

tom03

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys appreciate your help !<br /><br />Happy boating, Tom (Metro Detroit)

Richok

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I agree with these guys. Go with the regular PFD with crotch strap. Something else you might want to consider if you are dead set on inflatable. I am a certified diver and I had my BC blow and start leaking. You wouldn't want that with your precious little one.