Depth Finder malfunction

gapple12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK, having an issue with my stock Depth Finder in my 2002 Monterey 190. It powers up on the dash, but always shows a depth of around 13 to 14 feet as well as sometimes sending out an alarm. Ive read the manual and didn't find much except there is a shallow and deep water alarm. I was able to set those way off so the alarm stopped but would like to get it working accurately. It has the transducer mounted in the rear under the motor and you can see it under the boat as a black circular sensor, I'm guessing that's it. Can these get dirty and malfunction ? Any help is appreciated.

Drew

Last edited:

Roberthill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Depth Finder malfunction

Its critical where you mount the transducer ,should not be near motor .As you are not sure that you have located transducer you should establish its location .Your manual has a mounting instruction in it , check it out . Good Luck

gapple12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Depth Finder malfunction

My depth finder was already installed from factory when I got this boat. Its a few feet from the motor and is a black plastic circle inserted into the hull. The transducer looks to be glued onto it from the inside. I was curious if my issue is caused by it malfunctioning or simply needing a good cleaning and re-gluing it down. I will give it a shot. If no luck, I will just buy a Humminbird replacement.