may be a stupid question ... Lift hook for 150hp V6??

s1120

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I know this is pretty simple, but the manuals list a special part number bla bla bla that screws into the crank, to life the power head off the lower unit. What have you all used?? Just run a bolt in and attach a lift plate?? Only use the merc tool?? What have you used? I know it might be simple, but I dont want to bugger up the crank on this. Thanks!!

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: may be a stupid question ... Lift hook for 150hp V6??

I have the tool, and I have seen some that guys have fabricated similar to the factory tool.

I would not risk damaging a flywheel by using anything bolted onto the flywheel hub bolts. The risk of a flywheel coming apart at speed is not a pretty picture.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

$30 from ebay. I used the crank puller tool and welded a prop thrust washer to the bolt. Works fine.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Bingo!

Making two tools out of the one.

s1120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

$30 from ebay. I used the crank puller tool and welded a prop thrust washer to the bolt. Works fine.

Thats a good idea. Ill look into that thanks.

s1120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well after looking it all over, I went ahead and orderd the right tool. For the cost its not worth me spending the time making something, and none of my other pullers are heaven close to that style. Thanks for the tips guys!!