Is foam flotation a legal requirement?

santa666

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have searched the posting and didn't fine anything on if foam floatation is a REQUIREMENT. <br /><br />I've also looked at the USCG sites and can't find a straight answer, just an S-load of math formulas for "backyard boatbuilders"...<br /><br />My boat is NOT new, just had rotten stringers...<br /><br />BTW I am repowering with a similar weight outboard, so nothing radical there. <br /><br />Just want to pass a USCG inspection when it comes time to refloat her...

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Is foam flotation a legal requirement?

Requirements are based on location. 'round here, no. THe only flotation we need goes around your neck. There? Dunno. If it had it, I'd put it back once you're done with the stringers just to be safe. <br /><br />Never heard anybody complain about their boat sinking too slow.<br /><br />spots

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

I'm no expert, but from what I have read the foam adds a lot to the structure of the hull.<br /><br />DougV>

santa666

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah, I just don't see how any foam can add to the structure... EVERY foam I've EVER seen can be dented by just pushing a fingertip into it- How can something SO mushy add to the rigidity of my boat? <br /><br />I GET the safety factor, I really do, but after a while isn't all that foam going to act like a sponge and soak up humidity. I've read post after post on how great the closed cell stuff is, but in the long run it seems like its all going to soak up water- BTW The boat did not have foam when made new. I've called the Racine Wi. maker of 2-part sprayable closed cell (what I would use), and they WILL NOT sell to the public- <br /><br />I won't use styro, or pink insulation- those are sponge city too... I hear sealed bottles are no better-<br /><br />Your .02?

Bondo

Staff member

I hear sealed bottles are no better
I Think you've Heard Wrong,.......<br /><br />Do a search,...... I've posted ALOT about it.......

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A USCG safety inspection will not look for the installation of foam in the hull.<br /><br />You can purchase 2-part USCG approved closed cell foam at any retailer that sells boat repair or boat building materials. It is not cheap.<br /><br />In theory, closed cell foams will only absorb water in cells that are not sealed. As you pour the foam and it expands, the cells form. As you trim off excess pieces, you will ruputure cells immediately affected by the cut. These open cell can hold water, but the water should never move beyond the open cells. <br /><br />Foam can have add marginally to the structural integrity of a hull. As it fills the space between the hull, stringers and floor, it can bond to those surface and provide some support to those surfaces. Will humans notice it on a typical production boat, no. <br /><br />The biggest benefit is, of course, providing bouyancy should water ever make contact with the foam. The second biggest benefit is noise reduction.<br /><br />Its only a legal requirement for the original manufacturer. Once you own the boat, you can do as you please. That said, you should have some floatation material in the boat.

bigboy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by santa666:<br /> Yeah, I just don't see how any foam can add to the structure... EVERY foam I've EVER seen can be dented by just pushing a fingertip into it- How can something SO mushy add to the rigidity of my boat? <br /><br />I GET the safety factor, I really do, but after a while isn't all that foam going to act like a sponge and soak up humidity. I've read post after post on how great the closed cell stuff is, but in the long run it seems like its all going to soak up water- BTW The boat did not have foam when made new. I've called the Racine Wi. maker of 2-part sprayable closed cell (what I would use), and they WILL NOT sell to the public- <br /><br />I won't use styro, or pink insulation- those are sponge city too... I hear sealed bottles are no better-<br /><br />Your .02?
Come over here and try to push your finger in the foam i have... Your finger will break ;)

Paul Moir

Admiral

I'm not really all that familiar with US regs, but isn't it an ABYC requirement though? I don't even know if you have to follow ABYC standards.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by santa666:<br /> Yeah, I just don't see how any foam can add to the structure... EVERY foam I've EVER seen can be dented by just pushing a fingertip into it- How can something SO mushy add to the rigidity of my boat? <br />..... Your .02?
Let me explain it this way: <br /><br />If you have a 4x4x24 inch piece of foam, it is easy to break over your knee. <br /><br />If you have a cardboard box 4x4x24 inches, that too can be broken or crushed over your knee. It will also twist easily when grabbed from each end.<br /><br />Fill the box with foam, and you will have a very hard time breaking it over your knee or twisting it.<br /><br />Adding foam to a fiberglass boat where it fills cavities adds lots of rigidity and spreads the stress loads around more evenly. If I were installing a new floor, I would foam it to improve the regidity of the floor and hull, add sound deadening, and to keep my investment afloat if breached, and to help save lives. I would also make sure that there was lots of drainage provided through the foam so water will not be trapped if it does enter the bilge. <br /><br />Mark.

santa666

Petty Officer 3rd Class

[/quote]Come over here and try to push your finger in the foam i have... Your finger will break ;) [/QB][/quote]<br /> <br />BIGBOY, No thanks, have too many broken fingers/etc... <br />Would like brand name of foam/link/website. <br /><br />This is one time I'd L O V E being wrong!

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Foam adds considerably to structure, just look at Boston Whaler, foam filled glory. You can't get too much more structurally sound than a Whaler.<br /><br />In order for the foam to provide the structure, it needs to completely fill the void. The new stuff is far more resistant to saturating than the old stuff was. If you have a sound hull, have good sealed fittings and hardware, and put a cover on the darn thing when not in use, then you won't have a problem.<br /><br />Besides, don't look at it as a passing regulation thing, look at it as a safety thing. A properly foamed boat does not sink, it stays at the surface giving you something to cling to and be more visible. If you put enough foam in like I did, the thing will stay afloat and still get you back to the dock. Thats what it is about, not passing a regulation.

Realgun

Commander

It might be legal but it is a moral iparative! Put the foam in and be done with it. Look around foam is not as expensive as trying to salvage a sunk boat and body recovery/burial.

dmarkvid2

Chief Petty Officer

it also helps with engine and boat vibrations

reka12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also would like to add that adding a floor to my little single hulled fiberglass boat, the foaming the voids really added rigidity to the hull, dampened the sound and bought a lot of piece of mind. If you crack or develop a crack in the hull, the foam will buy you time and may allow your bilge pump to keep up. We even purposefully sank the boat in the lake (using sandbags in place of the motor) to ensure it floated. It performed great.

KilroyJC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Santa666<br /><br />Check out http://www.shopmaninc.com/foam.html <br /><br />I used the 4lb foam in my Starcraft. You would not believe how rigid the boat is now compared to when it just had a couple pieces of Styro under the deck.<br /><br />AND my aluminum boat is quieter than my friend's Boston Whaler - go figger.<br /><br />I am a big fan of the pourable foam & recommend it highly.<br /><br />Good Luck!

f_inscreenname

Commander

On the other side of the coin. My boat never came with it and I have no intention of ever installing it. It has built in its design to always have air trapped in one of three pockets that run the length of the hull and to sink a$$ first because of the motor. That way the bow sticks out of the water like a cork. I did have a boat sink from underneath of me that was foamed. After the motor went under I wish the whole thing would have went down but no luck. Damn foam.

budbecks

Cadet

Hi people.<br /><br />Im new to this forum and new to boat resotratiom too. I have a project which i have just started where the transom of my 18ft wilson flyer is completed rotten out. So i ripped the old transom out and then ripped some of the deck out only to find the foam completly waterlogged !! fantastic news hey !!. Well i have seen many guuides and info pages on the net to guide me thougth the process of installing all new again.<br /><br />I found out that 1kg of foam is equivilant to 1 cubic foot of foam which can support about 27kg of weight in the water. My boat typically need around 200kg of weight ( or is suggested anyway) so i will be filling the hull will at least 8 or 9 kg of foam.<br /><br />As to structure and soaking up water. When using the foam you should make up little compartments each time for pouring your foam into. These compartment should also be completed sealed before and after the foam is used.<br /><br />I am making my compartments and using G4 resin to seal the compartment. Once the foam has cured and the cut level with the deck, The whole deck will be fibreglassed before the top deck goes down.<br /><br />Now once the foam has been fibre glassed over. The foam will be completed sealed and no water will be able to penertrate the foam.<br />You will then be able to put your deck on top of the fibreglass and the whole thing will be rigid as hell.<br /><br />Also ever tried sticking you finger through fibre glass ?<br /><br />Cheers John

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

Factory on many smaller fibergalss boats..The floor is laid on top of the stringers, nailed down. Holes are drilled and foam is sprayed in. Except for right down the middle.<br /> The floor and those holes are then glassed over. No water should make it above the middle stringers. If it does, the floor should be sealed to these stringers keeping water away from the foam.<br /> Nice THEORY....<br /> Leave the drain plug in and it rains. Water gets above those middle stringers. That foam WILL get wet and it will absorb water.<br /> I just pulled the floor out of a boat. The floor was not soft, floor was dry on top. It had been stored inside for the last 2 years with no carpet in it.<br /> What I found was a mess underneath. Several hundred lbs of waterlogged foam after two years of airing out time.<br /> It was hard to dig all out of there also.<br /><br />I have some help with this project. <br />Help says..<br />"When we used to build boats for employees (VERY REPUTABLE QUALITY boat manufacturer thats been around a LONG time)...we NEVER put foam in them". <br />The foam is required to be there, but, who was going to check this if the boat is used, or, built on the side and never went to a dealer.<br /> Plastic liners won't keep foam from absorbing water. Liners go against rough fiberglass, they get punctured and water will find that knick in the liner. Those will hold more water than just foam alone.<br /> Foam reduces airspace under the floor and hinders air flow around it. WHEN water gets in there(just a matter of time), it's pretty much there for good. Floor will begin rotting from the bottom up. The underside of the wood stays wet.<br /> It does not help the structure of the boat on any measureable level. <br /> The sringers are like floor joists. With flooring fastened top and bottom, you won't be moving or twisting a floor joist sideways. If you do, foam or no foam will be least of your worries.<br /> The benefits...when you sink your boat, it will stop just shy of being completely under. It deadens sound also.<br /> This was not my opinion of floatation a year ago. After listening to my help, stories of his past experiences, and seeing replace floors in several late model boats. This is now my new opinion. "Get rid of that floatation".