Marine Grease vs. regular grease

roffey

Commander
I have a tube of marine grease at home but only one grease gun. Is there a problem with just using marine grease for everything, example car, lawn mower, squeaky wife…

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Marine Grease vs. regular grease

I have a tube of marine grease at home but only one grease gun. Is there a problem with just using marine grease for everything, example car, lawn mower, squeaky wife…

None whatsoever.... Marine grease just has more water resistant properties than 'ordinary' grease.

Just be sure to apply it in the right places... ;) ;)

Chris........

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Only difference is if you have a really high temp application where the grease might leak and cause a problem. Case in point, wheel bearings on cars, trucks, etc. especially on disc brakes. Not my words, just what I read. I use red high temp on the farm for everything but my marine things. I have thought about it as the red is really sticky but I haven't run any kind of test on water resistance. So I use marine grease for my trailer bearings and OB engine zerks.

Since I don't grease my wheel bearings, I probably could do all my farm, road, and aquatic equipment with the blue Mystic JT-6 Marine Grease or similar product. The Lubriplate white was used when I was growing up for aquatic equipment. Had the same water resisting qualities. It's still available here.

Mark

PNKFLOYD

Recruit

Being relatively new to boating again, where do you apply the grease to keep the wife from sqeaking?
I have gotten lots of great information on the forum, but the grease application may be the greatest information if it works.
Thanks!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Yes, there might be a problem.

There is no such thing as "marine" grease. "Marine" grease is marketing invention with a number of different formulations being marketed.
Since not all greases are compatible, you need know the composition of the grease in question and determine if your "marine" grease is compatible with the grease currently in use and is suitable for the application.

Ideally, you would use a calcium sulfonate grease for "marine" applications. Calcium sulfone has superior "marine" proprieties but is also more expensive to manufacture so a lot of suppliers market a less effective lithium complex grease as "marine". While lithium is less than the ideal "marine" grease, it is compatible with a larger number of greases in common use.

Articles_200902_grease-compatibility-chart.gif

Figure 1. Relative Compatibility Rating
B = Borderline C = Compatible I = Incompatible

Last edited:

roffey

Commander

Being relatively new to boating again, where do you apply the grease to keep the wife from sqeaking?
I have gotten lots of great information on the forum, but the grease application may be the greatest information if it works.
Thanks!

Why where else but grease nipples...LOL

Volphin

Lieutenant

I've really never thought about it... but I'm sure you could use it for almost anything.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I use marine grease for everything. I have not had any issues, and I live on/in the saltwater.. Of course a demanding application is wheel bearings on wheels with brakes. The heat generated makes grease expand and could break it down. However, I do not grease auto wheel bearings anymore, and none of my trailers have brakes.....

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,....
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V

roffey

Commander

As John Travolta would say ,,, grease is the word.

and you guys did really answer my question, thanks.