Motor Mouint

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I noticed today that the starboard motor mount is not tightened down properly.
The boat has run great all summer with no vibration.
Apparently the bottom adjusting nut is locked in but the top nut is nowhere near tight. The port side looks normal. I am going to change the starter and need to jack up the engine a little as the starter is wedged against the wood base that the motor mount attaches to.
It looks like I have a good inch of play on the motor mount threads and that amount will give me more than enough space to slide the starter forward.
Will it change the alignment of the motor just by using a bar to jack up the motor on that side by 1/2 to one inch and letting it back down to the existing position?
I would tighten the top nut after I get the new starter in.

Attachments

• PORT MOUNT.jpg
    PORT MOUNT.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 0
  • STRBD MOUNT.jpg
    STRBD MOUNT.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 0

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Motor Mouint

Dont know what engine and drive you have but I would not jack up the engine without removing the drive first. And I think you must assume engine no longer aligned due to loose top nut. Not feeling a vibration is not how to test alignment. Six nuts and drive is off. Way better than chewing up a coupler and having to pull engine.

Bondo

Staff member

Dont know what engine and drive you have but I would not jack up the engine without removing the drive first. And I think you must assume engine no longer aligned due to loose top nut. Not feeling a vibration is not how to test alignment. Six nuts and drive is off. Way better than chewing up a coupler and having to pull engine.

Ayuh,.... Ditto what Ed is sayin',....

Jackin' the motor, even that much is tryin' to bend the shaft to the drive,...

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

Ok guys... thanks.
Looks like I will end removing the outdrive, jack up the motor a bit, get the starter off and new one on, align the motor and bolt it all back together. Since I had a mechanic take the outdrive off to replace the gimbal bearing, bellows, etc. in April do you think I will need to replace the outdrive gaskets?

Bondo

Staff member

Ok guys... thanks.
Looks like I will end removing the outdrive, jack up the motor a bit, get the starter off and new one on, align the motor and bolt it all back together. Since I had a mechanic take the outdrive off to replace the gimbal bearing, bellows, etc. in April do you think I will need to replace the outdrive gaskets?

Ayuh,.... Absolutely,.... It's 'bout a $6. set, Sierra 18-2619-1 is what I use,...