rebuilding 350

t2sunquan

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys, swapping out my old 305 for a juicer 350 in my 19' Mark Twain, a couple of questions about the 350. I know its good to buy a new cam and new lifters but.. if i marked each lifter to its lobe from the 305 to the new 350.. plus swapping the cam over would that be sufficient? When i did some research the only decent marine cam's i could find were from Comp Cams and they are $250+. The 305 was made in 79', doesn't look like it was ever rebuilt and the new 350 is a crate motor.

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: rebuilding 350

I can offer you a lot of experienced advice, but before I get ahead of myself, I need to ask you one thing.

Is your new crate 350 a one or two piece rear main seal?

Bondo

Staff member

Hey guys, swapping out my old 305 for a juicer 350 in my 19' Mark Twain, a couple of questions about the 350. I know its good to buy a new cam and new lifters but.. if i marked each lifter to its lobe from the 305 to the new 350.. plus swapping the cam over would that be sufficient? When i did some research the only decent marine cam's i could find were from Comp Cams and they are $250+. The 305 was made in 79', doesn't look like it was ever rebuilt and the new 350 is a crate motor.

Ayuh,.... There's Nothin' wrong with the cam in the 350,....

Leave it Alone,....

t2sunquan

Seaman Apprentice

The new crate motor is 2pc seal and it is not marine. I already know what needs to be swapped, my only question is for the cam/lifters.

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The new crate motor is 2pc seal and it is not marine. I already know what needs to be swapped, my only question is for the cam/lifters.

There is no such thing as a "marine only" Chevy 350. It is exactly a GM produced SBC 350 with marinized parts on it to make it safe in a boat. Namely fuel and electrical parts outside of the engine block. Cams are ground for high torque/low rpm conditions, and to furthermore reduce valve overlap to prevent exhaust water reversion. I was going to suggest you do a Vortec conversion, but you need a 1 piece block to do it completely. That is, to use a roller valvetrain. I hope you use heavy duty diesel engine oil in that engine, and heavily fortify it with zinc before you start it up, lest you flatten cam lobes.

Good luck!