Ice box questions

Cleaning and thinking how to reno the cabin on my 1976 22 Chieftain. It has an icebox in excellent condition. The drawers in the cabinetry are history gonna do tackle storage etc. but wondering about using the icebox. Do any of you guys use one and how effective is it for cooling stuff. Was thinking about the blue containers you freeze and would not need to worry about a drain hose to bilge. Would it be good for day and overnight and next day to keep things cold as long as all is prechilled first? Your thoughts/experiences please.

barato2

Commander
Re: Ice box questions

it would be enough to keep stuff from spoiling for that long, but not to have especially cold drinks. one problem will be that ice boxes coolers ice chests etc from the 70s have insufficient insulation compared to modern stuff....this is especially a truism with old cabin boats and campers. our Westy's icebox is a joke. i can definitely understand not wanting to mess with drainage tho....empty milk jugs and soda bottles filled with water and frozen are the bottom feeder version of blue ice and IMHO work about as well. what you might do is have a modern ice chest (look at the coleman "Ultimate Extreme" versions, which do in fact keep ice for 5+ days in 90 degree weather like they claim, or the equiv Igloos, which work well but not quite as well....i have some of each and test em in summer in Mexico:eek:) for the drinks and put your sandwiches etc in the icebox.

also, if there;'s any way you can get in behind/around/under the box and glue on more foam insulation, this can help a lot. may not be room but if there's air space around it, go wild. and it's flotation too. :)

Last edited: