additive for carb build up

rocket rich

Petty Officer 1st Class
Seem like everyone has carb problems, WHY... what is the biggest issue for this. Is there an additive that we should be using to prvent this from happening??? I don't like to add anything unless it's factory approved???.. I have found in years passed that the problems come from decading fuel line both in the motor it's self and from the tank. it's a good idea to install another filter in the tank fuel line on older tank lines.:joyous:

pvanv

Admiral
Re: additive for carb build up

Your very own EPA has foisted this upon us. E gas, and ridiculously lean carbs, as well as poor overall fuel quality gang up on the newer, EPA-rated small outboards.

Try to get non-E gas, and run the carb dry at the end of the day unless you know you are using the motor tomorrow.

Some swear by adding massive (10x or more) doses of Chevron Techron to the fuel, and then it can theoretically slowly dissolve buildups in the carb passages. I can't confirm that.

The modern fuel hoses will tolerate E-10 fuels, but are not rated for more than 10% alcohol.

rocket rich

Petty Officer 1st Class

the factory recommeds higher than 87 should what is the best thing for the motor, as this motor will out live me during the warranty period

pvanv

Admiral

Anything 87 or higher will work. Some premiums are cleaner, and some are non-ethanol as well.

Packard8

Seaman

Some swear by adding massive (10x or more) doses of Chevron Techron to the fuel, and then it can theoretically slowly dissolve buildups in the carb passages. I can't confirm that.

From my own experience working on collector cars for many years, I've had good luck using Techron to clean up old neglected fuel systems. If an older engine, I'd recommend adding an extra clear inline filter to trap any junk from the tank and fuel lines from entering the carb. It's not a miracle cure but usually does improve things. Be sure to get the Chevron Techron, not Techroline (the more diluted product).

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

The only carb issues I had in zillion boating years was when ethanol was added to all our high quality fuels, mostly due to ethanol removing all the crap found asleep in service station tanks, a transition issue going from non E to E8. Now things have settled back to nomal boating life.

To avoid carb issues, always use fresh high octane fuels and run my carb dry while flushing enngine after each outing + regularly clean my plastic tank, fuel line and engine mesh filter to impecable clean condition, just in case. The issue of running dry or not is that you'll never know when will be your next outing, next day, next month, God knows...

Happy Boating

Last edited:

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer

I am probably odd man out here, but I never run my carbs dry on any equipment. But I am sure to start and run it all frequently. By-weekly for my outboards. No carb problems, never had to clean the carbs on my 1999 Honda 50. I think the key is you have to keep them running. If it is going to sit more than a couple weeks then drain it, but for a week or two don't bother. I do use Stabil brand stabilizer in all my gas.