Question about Lower Unit

dumb93

Recruit
My Name is Terry,

I recently bought a !989 bayliner capri with a 125 force outboard motor. I have been around boats all my life but never dealt with the motors. I was out on the lake, had just put boat in water for the first time on the second day of trip. As I was idling away from shore in gear the lower unit hit a sand bar about sixty yards off of shore I did not see. I got the motor shut down and raised up. After I pushed away and was sure there was nothing down there, I warmed up the motor and took off. The motor ran great all morning and then as I was pulling my daughter on the tube the motor all of a sudden with no warning revved up and quit moving like it was at full throttle and in neutral. My question is this, Did I screw up the gears (didn't hear and grinding) or is there a shear pin of some sorts that I just sheared. I have two props and switched them out but have not tested that. I was told I may have thrown a prop but the rubbers in the one that was on it looked all ok.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Question about Lower Unit

Sure sounds like you have a spun hub in the first prop. There is no shear pin. The prop has a 15 spline shaft. Not very likely that you stripped it. Try it with your second prop. I would bet that it runs fine.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

You can mark the hub on the old prop and see if it slips.

dumb93

Recruit

Thank you guys for your help ill be sure to try those things when the weather warms back up over weekend.