Cataract surgery great, now for some advice on best UV, polarized shades???

ezbtr

Commander
20/20 in right eye!!! What best wrap around shades, with great UV and polarized to get? May get other eye done down the line, so far wearing old pair just for reading, (will take right lense out) gf dropped me, waited 2 hours, drove me home and hung til 11 last pm and back today to take me to 1050 apptmt, Im safe to drive, just wanna get best pair for protection, far away vision incredible, can READ a stop sign at approx 100 yards, I think left eye adjusting to less work, reading may need store bought cheapies, will do last post op 10/22, to see if I need prescription or not, will take another week Im told to let all settle down, wearin pirate patch at night, I did get the Torix lense (extra $1200 but good for lifetime), any hints would be great guys!

Attachments

• avaast ye matey 1.jpg
    avaast ye matey 1.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 0

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Cataract surgery great, now for some advice on best UV, polarized shades???

I've got to have that done in a couple of months.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

I'd vote for either Costa Del Mar's or Maui Jim's.

angus63

Captain

I read a research document that tested polarized shaded lenses from scores of manufacturers for clarity, distortion, and UV A & B protection. The results showed that there were negligable differences in the tested qualitities between a $15 lense and a $150 lense in many cases. I wear polarized #5 safety wrap-arounds by DeWalt fishing to prevent intrusion from below and the sides. They cost under $10 so I do not have a fit if I lose em, and I leave them everywhere! Dr. says I have very minimal scarring for a person with light blue eyes and commercial fishing/boating for 30+ yrs. They work for me and are comfortable. Recently I started wearing Cobalts by Radian when I couldn't find the DeWalts.

http://www.radians.com/radsite/inde...m/radians-cobalt-safety-eyewear?category_id=2

The website has alot of choices you may consider.

Good luck with the eyes!

Last edited:

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

First off there is a clarity difference between most low end and high end sun glasses. At least for me. Even with the same advertised protection. I have 2 pair of Costa's both with the 580 glass lenses. They are the clearest viewing sunglasses I have ever tried on. Along with being Polarized the carry both the uva and uvb protection as well.

angus63

Captain

? Blog Archive ? UV Measurement of Sunglasses using a Back-thinned CCD Spectrometer

I was working on a spectroscopy project with students and we attempted to do a similar test to the one above. We had less detailed but similar results.

As limited-time stated, the feature clarity can be a personal preference especially with varying hues and levels of tint. A polished lense will likely have less distortion than a molded lense.

What is not preference is the protection. A polarized lense is more protective from glare than non-polarized which is critical when subject to reflective surfaces like snow and water. Also protection from UV A and B is not subjective. Be sure to have a lense that is documented to a minimum of 99% protection from UV A and B. Finally, wrap around lenses provide greater protection from unwanted penetration from the sides of the lenses.

I have used Costas and Ray Ban lenses when I was younger and did like them. In my later years I have fallen victim to morphing into my Dad and became much more cost effective driven.

bassman284

Commander

Well, heck, might as well throw in my favorites. Cocoons

These are relatively inexpensive, around 40 - 50 bucks, and work well for me. I originally used them over my prescription glasses but later had prescription lenses put in. Lenses were a young fortune but the frames are pretty cheap.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Too bad you didn't get this done a week ago on talk like a pirate day!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

When I had mine done they gave me a set of safety glasses with a very dark wrap around lenses made by solar shade. They worked very well and their still in use

ezbtr

Commander

got a pair of $110 Bolles, UV, polarized for $34 after huge discount and leftover Big 5 gift card, love em so far :)

scipper77

Commander

I have a pair og glass Costa's and they are great glasses but.....

As far as eye protection from UV is concerned any polycarbonate lens will do.

If you are going to go high end I prefer Costa's over Maui Jim because they are styled more to wrap around your face. For my fishing this means no stray light coming in from the sides which causes a glare. Also make sure you wear a hat that closes the gap on top. If you are doing it correctly you should look very suspicious to most people.

When I am shore fishing at my local park and I walk by a single female who is walking the track for exercise I intentionally take off my hat and raise my glasses to the top of my head. Any girl with half a brain should be ready to douse me with pepper spray when I have my "creeper" look going.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Well, heck, might as well throw in my favorites. Cocoons

These are relatively inexpensive, around 40 - 50 bucks, and work well for me. I originally used them over my prescription glasses but later had prescription lenses put in. Lenses were a young fortune but the frames are pretty cheap.

Second the Cocoons. I wear them over my prescription glasses, but even if I did not need glasses I would wear these while boating and fishing, because they also do such a great job blocking wind and I wouldn't cry over the cost if they went overboard.

They do make you look like a retired Floridian, though!

Last edited: