Car insurance request

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
I just received a letter from my Car Insurance company asking/demanding I disclose whether I have health care coverage and what kind. The form looks to be of the govt. type and I'm betting it has to do with Obama care. But it basically tells me I have x days to respond or my rates will go up or I will be canceled. I then received a robo call from them again today demanding this information again. Half of me wants to tell them to pound sand, none of your business.
Anyone else being asked very private questions about personal things like this? Just curious what it's all about and if my guess is right. I will call them this afternoon and inquire about it. I'm kind of curious to see what kind of "spin" they will put on this demand or if anyone else is being harassed.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Car insurance request

I have not been harassed like that however........ A company which I will not mention sent me a letter wanting my late wife's drivers license information or my insurance would be cancelled. I called them up and explained she past away 10 years prior and I was remarried. They then asked for a death certificate :eek: ....... I gave them 7 days to apologize....... they did not and on the 8th day I had a new company.

Ask them for the company policy and reason it is collected.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

it is the beginning of it. I received a letter last night from my employer telling me I will qualify for the big O plan but I don't qualify for other gov't subsidies for it. if I decide to..............yada yada yada. this mess is going to cost a fortune and cause a lot of stress I think.

I have been asked by auto ins also. it is their way of making sure if you have health care they (auto ins)don't become primary. they want to pick up the "extras" not the whole tab.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I just received a letter from my Car Insurance company asking/demanding I disclose whether I have health care coverage and what kind. The form looks to be of the govt. type and I'm betting it has to do with Obama care. But it basically tells me I have x days to respond or my rates will go up or I will be canceled. I then received a robo call from them again today demanding this information again. Half of me wants to tell them to pound sand, none of your business.
Anyone else being asked very private questions about personal things like this? Just curious what it's all about and if my guess is right. I will call them this afternoon and inquire about it. I'm kind of curious to see what kind of "spin" they will put on this demand or if anyone else is being harassed.

I'm trying to understand how this could be any car insurance company's business? It almost sounds like a foot-in-the-door attempt to get you to buy some sort of additional insurance from them. I haven't heard anything about car insurance companies being charged with enforcing the healthcare act... I certainly haven't seen anything like this from our insurer.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Watch out boys and girls, the scams spawned by the ACA otherwise known as Obamacare are going to be rampant. I just changed my auto insurance, less than a week ago, and was not asked anything about my health care situation, I would be extremely careful over the next few weeks.

Last edited:

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It may be you do not carry medical on you car insurance. I would go to your agent and discuss it.

jkust

Rear Admiral

This one is news to me. I hadn't heard of this in relation to PPACA. My barely capable insurance agent/owner will send a card asking to discuss my insurance needs and catch up and I'd be pretty leery of what you explain.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you carry medical on your car insurance, it starts paying out after your health coverage pays. Maybe it affects the rates for the medical portion on your policy.

I have USAA and have never heard that question.

Last edited:

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

If you carry medical on your car insurance, it starts paying out after your health coverage pays. Maybe it affects the rates for the medical portion on your policy.

I have USAA and have never heard that question.
From what little I have learned you seem to be correct. I wasn't aware the when an injury occurs as a result of a car accident, your health care insurance may not cover you. So some car ins. policies cover this and if they do, it affects your health care coverage. I bet some are unaware they wont be covered by health care insurance if the are hurt driving their car. I'm learning about this and will share as I go.

oldjeep

Admiral

From what little I have learned you seem to be correct. I wasn't aware the when an injury occurs as a result of a car accident, your health care insurance may not cover you. So some car ins. policies cover this and if they do, it affects your health care coverage. I bet some are unaware they wont be covered by health care insurance if the are hurt driving their car. I'm learning about this and will share as I go.

It is not that your health insurance may not cover you, it is that they may expect reimbursement from your (or someone elses) auto policy. Pretty standard stuff and it has been this way as long as I can remember. Look up insurance subrogation.

aspeck

Staff member

Nope, not asked that one, but I did get a letter from my Health Insurance Provider telling me that my policy would no longer be valid after the first of the year, due to the changes in the health care laws. There goes my High Deductible Insurance and Savings Account.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Just got the same...PPACA killed my health plan and the replacement is a 30% increase in premium plus the deductibles and copay went up...copays doubled.