timing an omc 350

adam satz

Cadet
I have a 88 donzi with an omc 350. How do you set the timing being that there are no timing marks on the crank pulley?

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
Re: timing an omc 350

I take it your talking about a small block chevy 350?.......If so take out all the plugs and and put a socket on the crank pully...turn it over slow and see if you can spot the line across the dampner. It's there proly all cruded up and cant see it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I have a 88 donzi with an omc 350. How do you set the timing being that there are no timing marks on the crank pulley?
There should be a line on the damper pulley and a tab on the timing chain cover. You have either of those?

If you are just missing the tab, they do have some aftermarket ones that bolt on using existing timing cover bolts.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... It's on the harmonic balancer, not the pulley,...

adam satz

Cadet

I found the line across the balancer. I cant seem to find the tab on the timing cover. What I think is the tab looks like it is in the opening between the water pump and the power steering pump. the mark doesn't show up there at all when I use a timing light. I am going to take the seats out again to get a better look. Does anyone have a link to that bolt on tab?

Walt T

Lieutenant

You sure you have the timing light on the correct plug wire? Don't laugh even I've done that.