Fuel tank question 1984 Proline 17CC

BJess

Cadet
I have recently purchased a 1984 17CC Proline that was restored. My problem is when my fuel gauge is reading around 1/2 to just under I am experiencing fuel starvation when running at high RPM's. I have determined that the fuel pick up is in the front of the tank but have not gotten into the tank to see if there is a line that runs towards the rear of the tank from the actual pick insert tube. The tank is a poly tank but I do not know if this replaced or new. Any help would be great and feel free to ask questions to help me solve my issue. Thanks!

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Fuel tank question 1984 Proline 17CC

Welcome to iBoats . . .

Sounds like the tank was put in backwards during the restoration. . . Usually the fuel pickup and gauge senders are towards the aft. Are you sure the forward fitting is not just the vent hose rather than the fuel pickup?

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I experienced a similar situation a few back. Picking up a fuel restriction alarm when running WOT with 1/2 tank and under. It turned out to be a bad hose connection (vacuum leak), or so I beleive. I replaced everything but the hoses and the tank selection valve, nothing. Removed the tank selection valve from the system and replaced all fuel lines, problem solved.

Last edited:

BJess

Cadet

Welcome to iBoats . . .

Sounds like the tank was put in backwards during the restoration. . . Usually the fuel pickup and gauge senders are towards the aft. Are you sure the forward fitting is not just the vent hose rather than the fuel pickup?

Thanks for the welcome! The vent line is definitely in the aft right next to the fill line and the gauge sender. I can't even see the fitting where the fuel line connects to tank without pulling the console and floor panel. I do have inspection access under the console but the fitting is arms length forward of that.

BJess

Cadet

I experienced a similar situation a few back. Picking up a fuel restriction alarm when running WOT with 1/2 tank and under. It turned out to be a bad hose connection (vacuum leak), or so I beleive. I replaced everything but the hoses and the tank selection valve, nothing. Removed the tank selection valve from the system and replaced all fuel lines, problem solved.

Thanks for the info! I was contemplating replacing all the fuel line even though it is new. The stuff they put on is so flimsy I wouldn't use it on my shallow water skiff that has a 10hp Honda it. It is alcohol tolerant and USCG approved but I think this stuff is for small motors and not the thirsty 1987 Evinrude 150 that is on this thing. I am doing a water pump replacement this weekend and will probably go ahead with fuel lines while I am getting dirty.

BJess

Cadet

Does anyone know what diameter fuel line should be used with a 150 Evinrude? VRO is removed on this unit so we can be certain that isn't the cause of the problem.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Does anyone know what diameter fuel line should be used with a 150 Evinrude? VRO is removed on this unit so we can be certain that isn't the cause of the problem.

They call for 3/8" ID hose on a motor that size.

BTW: Don't let the myth of the mixer go to your head. A VRO causing that problem is about as likely as your tire going flat becouse your low on windshield washer fluid. ;)

Last edited:

BJess

Cadet

They call for 3/8" ID hose on a motor that size.

BTW: Don't let the myth of the mixer go to your head. A VRO causing that problem is about as likely as your tire going flat becouse your low on windshield washer fluid. ;)

Thanks Dingbat! I picked up some thick wall below deck 3/8 line today. I also got a water pump rebuild kit so hopefully I will kill both of my problems this time. Each time I spend $100 the thing gets a little better.