Carb Fuel Filter Question

EL-BATO

Cadet
Hey folks, need some help. Boat's an '88 OMC 3.0L

I bought 2 fuel filters. One was a 'paper' type that goes in a canister (which was easy to change) and the second one is a screen type which I believe goes in the part of the carb beside the part in the pic.

20130629_165254.jpg20130629_165928-edited.jpg

1. Could someone confirm that's where the screen goes?
2. How do you dismantle that fitting...!?? I tired unscrewing the bigger 'nut' but it got me nowhere and it felt like I was slowly stripping the other smaller part as it was starting to screw out. Anyway, it's hard to describe, but I put up the pics. I stopped and screwed it back as soon as I noticed it wasn't coming off easily. Has anyone changed a screen filter here? Could you tell me how ya did it?

Thanks!

M

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Carb Fuel Filter Question

Normally you just unscrew the big nut and replace the filter in there.
I have, seen the threads pull out of the carb. We used to go to an automotive store and buy an oversized filter nut and replace the pulled threads with it.

EL-BATO

Cadet

So you're saying that bigger filter nut gets ruined no matter what and you can get a replacement one at any auto parts store?

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

No the outer nut is supposed to come off............ what is that sticking in the center.....is it the old filter?

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey folks, need some help. Boat's an '88 OMC 3.0L

I bought 2 fuel filters. One was a 'paper' type that goes in a canister (which was easy to change) and the second one is a screen type which I believe goes in the part of the carb beside the part in the pic.

View attachment 212932View attachment 212933

1. Could someone confirm that's where the screen goes?
2. How do you dismantle that fitting...!?? I tired unscrewing the bigger 'nut' but it got me nowhere and it felt like I was slowly stripping the other smaller part as it was starting to screw out. Anyway, it's hard to describe, but I put up the pics. I stopped and screwed it back as soon as I noticed it wasn't coming off easily. Has anyone changed a screen filter here? Could you tell me how ya did it?

Thanks!

M

Unscrew the fuel line first and then undo the big nut shown on the picture....

THE BEEF

Chief Petty Officer

Like they said, first remove the fuel line off the brass 90 degree fitting then unscrew the large nut and you will find a filter, possible a brass stone style.
When I replaced mine this year I had the brass stone and replaced it with a paper one with a check valve in it to keep the carb from draining. works great.
Went to start the boat yesterday and it rolled over twice and fired off.
I had to crank it a lot more before.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer

Like they said, first remove the fuel line off the brass 90 degree fitting then unscrew the large nut and you will find a filter, possible a brass stone style.
When I replaced mine this year I had the brass stone and replaced it with a paper one with a check valve in it to keep the carb from draining. works great.
Went to start the boat yesterday and it rolled over twice and fired off.
I had to crank it a lot more before.

DO you have a part number or link for that filter you used ? i have to crank mine like crazy too and I have heard about that stlye filter.
Thanks

EL-BATO

Cadet

Thanks for the tip, BEEF! I also require more cranks than I think should be necessary... could you post a pic if your setup?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

If your system draining back down to the tank?
Then the anti siphon valve might be bad?
To get that filter go to any auto parts store and take in the old one.
tell em what you want.
Any store should have the filter.
Some of the older inline 4cyl and 6cyl had a filter in the pump too.
It was a stone looking thing.
Not sure you have that but look at your pump.