Bow Stop to High?

2005Vip

Seaman Apprentice
Alright so here's the deal. It just seems like my bow stop is to high. I've had other boats and never had a problem. But with this trailer every time I go to load the bow of the boat is lower then the bow stop on the winch post. The only way it would be higher is if I sunk the trailer. If I back the trailer up that far the boat floats all over the place. My trailer has two carpeted boards holding the boat and the bow stop up front holding it. If I try winching it up I feel like I'm going to break the winch post.

Do I need to get a replacement post that is lower? Should I just get some side boards to stop the boat for floating side to side and back it in further? Or maybe should I install another roller on the trailer closer to the bow?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Bow Stop to High?

Alright so here's the deal. It just seems like my bow stop is to high. I've had other boats and never had a problem. But with this trailer every time I go to load the bow of the boat is lower then the bow stop on the winch post. The only way it would be higher is if I sunk the trailer. If I back the trailer up that far the boat floats all over the place. My trailer has two carpeted boards holding the boat and the bow stop up front holding it. If I try winching it up I feel like I'm going to break the winch post.

Do I need to get a replacement post that is lower? Should I just get some side boards to stop the boat for floating side to side and back it in further? Or maybe should I install another roller on the trailer closer to the bow?

Ayuh,... Pictures would be a Huge help,....

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

if the bow stop is right when out of the water then you won't need to bother w pics... VERY common problem of bow hitting too low comes from backing the trailer in too far.... VERY common

2005Vip

Seaman Apprentice

if the bow stop is right when out of the water then you won't need to bother w pics... VERY common problem of bow hitting too low comes from backing the trailer in too far.... VERY common

I'll try keeping it out even further next time. It just seems like I'll have a lot of the trailer out of the water. and I'm already having a hard time cranking it as it is. I guess I could try some wax or something on the boards.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

get a can (wd-40 makes some) of silicone spray lube... launch your boat and give the trailer time to dry, comeback and spray the bunks down good with the lube and head back out on the water while it dries..... when you retrieve your boat only put the back half of the bunks in the water.... You will be amazed how much easier it loads... the next time you launch DO NOT unhook the winch strap till it is in the water... With a fresh silicone treatment even my 30'er has to be idling in forward gear or it will slide right off the trailer as I release the winch

2005Vip

Seaman Apprentice

get a can (wd-40 makes some) of silicone spray lube... launch your boat and give the trailer time to dry, comeback and spray the bunks down good with the lube and head back out on the water while it dries..... when you retrieve your boat only put the back half of the bunks in the water.... You will be amazed how much easier it loads... the next time you launch DO NOT unhook the winch strap till it is in the water... With a fresh silicone treatment even my 30'er has to be idling in forward gear or it will slide right off the trailer as I release the winch

Thanks

limitout

Banned

you don't want more then half of the bunk boards covered by water or you are in too far.